Thursday, November 20, 2008

Perfection

A new world opened up for us when our Maddie was born. Our life is so much different than before and I am so glad of this. I see life now in an entirely different way... I have always tried to be "perfect". A perfect wife, perfect mom, have the perfect kids, etc, etc... It's one of many of my MAJOR flaws. But since January 2nd and finding out about Maddie's "not so perfect" heart, in fact, a majorly defected heart, life forever changed for me. Those months before her birth were excruciating. The wait, the worry, the uncertainty, the unknown was so difficult for me to bear. I had so many emotions and learned that life is not perfect and the one I'd dreamed of was not going to happen...a better one was in the making. Not my perfect plan but His perfect plan.

But until her unexpected arrival into this world (she was born 5 weeks early), I had a difficult time accepting this change in our life. I had the hardest time with the fact that my daughter, whom I dreamed about and wanted so badly, wasn't made perfect. The "perfect" family, now having my boys and finally a girl, wasn't how I'd envisioned it. That I, who strives so hard to be perfect and always do the right thing, was carrying a child that had a major problem. What did I do wrong? Why did God do this? How could He create a sweet, innocent child this way? What did I do to deserve this? Why would she have to live her life with only 1/2 a heart and have to endure so much? I asked this so many times. I questioned my faith, I questioned Him. I learned a bit about suffering. The perfect life I had dreamed of was no more- I had a daughter with a very serious health problem that would never be cured or fixed. Her future was and would always be uncertain, there would always be risks and obstacles and there was nothing I could do about it but accept it. I learned so much in those few months, especially that life changes quickly, it doesn't go as planned, and that we were given a tough hand. Hard to accept for a "perfect striving" person. But now experiencing all that I have and the new world that opened up for us, the "heart world," I have learned so much more about suffering, sacrifice and really living life to the fullest. LIFE is the furthest thing from perfect! Perfect doesn't exist in our eyes...but I have learned that God has made us perfect in His eyes. And Maddie's heart was created by a loving, awesome God. And that in itself is perfect.

I have read so many stories of other heart babies like Maddie. They share many similarities but they are all so different too...some are doing well and some really struggle. I have read too many stories lately of heart babies that have earned their wings. All of these children are single ventricle babies just like Maddie. Their hearts had enough and they gave a good fight. They fulfilled their purpose here on earth, even though it was untimely and in our eyes, not long enough. It is crushing and I truly ache for the mom's, heart moms like myself, who lost their sweet child and didn't get the time that I've been blessed with my daughter. A week ago, one of our little heart friends passed away. Her mom and I had emailed a few times as she anticipated the birth of her daughter. Baby Kaiya lived 2 weeks. She had the same 1st surgery as Maddie, was doing well, and it was a complete shock for me to read that she'd passed away. Their heartbreaking loss makes me realize just how lucky we've been. But one thing is true for all of these sweet babies...they have left a lasting impact in their short lives, have touched more hearts, and brought hope to this world. The blogs, websites and carepages I've read all have the same theme in common: GRATITUDE. As heart mom's, we are incredibly grateful for our "not so perfect" lives. We've sat by our child's bedside, helpless and afraid. Our baby's have had to endure and overcome so much and we know their struggle isn't over. But through this struggle, brings refinement...refinement for all of us. Through our heart child, we've grown. Maddie's taught us so much about what life really is about....and that's not perfection. We're so grateful to be chosen as her parents and we have a constant, daily reminder that life is so precious just by looking at our little sweet miracle: Maddie Grace.

A new life blossoms, and God smiles as His perfect plan begins again.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

To my only daughter,

I'm so very proud of you, as you are so proud of Maddie.......and "Gratitude" does mean so much more now. And what a good feeling that is. The holiday's that are approaching have and always will take on a new meaning in all of our lives, and I'm so thank-ful for that.

I love you so much,
Mama

The Simmons Family said...

You said it PERFECTLY!!! We are BLESSED to be Heart Moms!!

The Mason Family said...

What a beautiful post; I couldn't agree with you more! Thanks for sharing…best wishes.

Shannon

Brenda said...

I think children with needs are sent to "near perfect" parents. You're certainly that! You were found worthy to care for such a fragile child and I know that you are rising to the call.

Courtney said...

What a sweet post Katie! I can barely read the keys because of the tears which you often bring me! You are such an amazing Mother, I admire you so much because like Brenda said, He knows who He is sending his children to and what an honor to Mother such a sweet baby! You ARE the "perfect" Mother for Miss Maddie!

Talia said...

So looks like all heart moms have a hard time and need to vent! That was a beautiful post and I think our babies unfortunate health problems are His way of smacking us in the face and telling us that life isn't perfect and we need to slow down. We are so lucky to have our girls and they have made our lives so much more than they ever would have been. I can't wait for the day when I come down to WA this summer and hope we can get the girls together to meet!

Anonymous said...

Katie ~
I had to read and re-read your post to see thru the tears. You're an inspiriation to so many of us. Lots of mom's only dream of being the mom that you are. Your talents and love and strength are couragous and your compassion for your family is PERFECT. You've taught me so much in the past 8+ months and I thank you for each lesson learned. You're a very special friend and Maddie is a miracle to all of us.......and a little birdie told me she's pretty impressed by her Mommy.
Love ya,
Kelsey

Miller Family said...

Katie, you never cease to amaze me. I admire your honesty and putting it all out there for us to read. Courtney said it, "You are the Perfect mom for Maddie." God knew exactly what he was doing and knew (through Him first and foremost)that between your family, your community and other heart mom's, you would take on this task for Him with flying colors. Thank you for the reminder that our not so perfect lives, are His perfect plan. Children are definitely a blessing from God and keep us on our toes.

Anonymous said...

Katie,
Your picture of Maddie is so fitting to your entry. So precious and she looks so deep in thought. I love her little outfit. I am convinced she never wears the same outfit twice:)Katie I hurt for you and I know I will never be able to imagine what you deal with inside on a day to day basis. The big question WHY? We will never know. I believe God needed you to be a part of the heart world because you will and have made a difference in people's lives. Your strive for perfection keeps you strong and will keep your family strong. You have endured so much and your little Maddie IS perfect. She may only have half a heart but she has prooved she is one tough little girl that will strive for perfection right along with her mommy.
Love you,
Randee

Anonymous said...

Katie~ I too had to read & re-read your precious words as I fought through the tears. You couldn't have said it more "perfectly". I too have had to learn this over the years as God has molded me. We aren't perfect and never can be. And this world we live in is far from perfect. All praise & thanks to God that He is in control and His plan is perfect for each of our lives & we don't have to carry that burden to try & live a perfect life. Thanks for sharing your heart and helping us to grow our faith along the way. Surely the Lord is smiling down upon you:) Lots of Love, Krista
P.S. Maddie is so so sweet & blessed beyond measure to have you for her mommy!