Today I'm tired. I'm sad. I try to stay away from the blog when I'm feeling this way but I gave into sharing my thoughts this time around. My heart goes out to a sweet friend of mine. She lost her 5 month old nephew to SIDS, her sister's baby. This family has endured so much over the years with the unexpected loss of their mom and now this untimely death. In times like these, I wonder why does this happen to such good people? Her sister now has to face the unimaginable...the loss of a child, which is something that haunts me daily, with my healthy boys, and especially with my baby with a broken heart. It's any mother's worst nightmare.
Life can change so quickly. We're told to embrace each day and moment we have here but how do you do this when you're hurting? I'm tired of reading about babies and children lost to CHD each and every day. I'm so saddened when hearing about causalities such as this. My heart goes out to too many families who are dealing with the loss of loved ones. Those who are trying to live a normal life despite having to deal with chemo, radiation, surgeries, and illness. The destruction and grief in Haiti. I'm tired of watching my little girl endure too many procedures, pokes, and knowing it's never over for her. Knowing that her heart can never be fixed is simply exhausting. There is no cure for her or for many of our little heart friends. I want to take it all away for her and I don't see any "fairness" in any of this. Just as my friend Michele would like to take her sister's pain away and fix it, I too want to fix my daughter's heart and spare her from any more pain. I guess it's that helpless feeling or maybe it's just the time of year that's brought me into this slump. The season I was in exactly 2 years ago from now was the hardest time of my life. We had just learned that our baby would be born with a broken heart and our lives were forever changed.
I know that I am blessed to have 3 beautiful children, a wonderful husband, freedom, a great family and support system, and many more blessings that I could list. Why is it that I'm still down? I really have no right to feel this sad when there are so many worse off than me today and I have so much to be thankful and happy about. I have my children. My heart baby is doing well. We have been the lucky ones.
In my times of confusion, doubt and sorrow, I listen to music. It is therapeutic for me and seems to feed my soul. I also bottle much of my feelings up over time, then when something like this happens, it seems to unleash itself. After talking to my friend Michele yesterday, I did just this. I unleashed. I stayed up much too late, reading my bible, praying, and listening to music. I wanted to feel some peace and feel closer to Him. I wanted to gain some understanding. As I was searching for something to make me feel better, I came across this song. Just when I was wavering in my faith, I was simply reminded through these lyrics that we do have an Everlasting God. He's always there. In these times when we're angry and so filled with sadness, asking Him why, we are to call on Him. And only hope remains, through Him. Someday our pain, grief, and worry will all be gone, all because of our Savior and the price that was paid for us. Our Redeemer. Our Everlasting God. Even though there is much to be sad about, my heart is filled with His promise.
One thing I know that I have found
through all the troubles that surround
You are the rock that never fails
You never fail
One thing I know that I believe
through every blessing I receive
You are the only one that stays
You always stay
You never change
You're still the same
You are the everlasting God
You will remain
After the day is gone
and things on Earth have passed
Everlasting God
Everlasting God by: New Life Worship
13 comments:
"Knowing that her heart can never be fixed is simply exhausting"
yes, yes, yes.
well said. Hang in there, you're not alone.
Praying for you Katie! We all go through these days in our life to help us reflect on what we do have and pray for others. I am having an emotional day as well and I found comfort in reading your blog, knowing I am not the only one! Tomorrow is a new day and it will be brighter than today!! I love that song by the way!
I know how you feel expect I'm in CHD kid/patient's shoes. It is totally heart breaking for me to read about all of these heart babies/kids/adults who are struggling so much and here I am, like your Maddie, one of the lucky ones. It's not fair, I wish is was. My prayers are with your friend's family.
Hang in there! I have my days, weeks, and seasons like this too. It's hard, but you just have to pick up and keep going and living the best you can... to the fullest with lots of smiles and laughs!
My thoughts and prayers are with you! Thanks for sharing your feelings!
With LOTS of Hope, Love, and Faith,
Lauren (22yr. old w/Tricuspid Atresia aka HRHS)
Blog: www.laurensheart.blogspot.com
Thanks Katie for your post. I have been feeling so sad for Michele and her whole family. I couldn't sleep last night and don't know how to make sense of this. Your honesty is much needed and appreciated. I am just strongly reminded to appreciate all the blessings I have in my life and not take anything for granted.
Oh Katie, it's so hard to wrestle with the "why" questions and not to let deaths of these precious little children get us down. Thank you for your honesty and I wanted to share with you something I heard at Bible Study Fellowship a couple of weeks ago. God is not interested in us swimming around in the "why" of suffering. He longs for us to begin asking "how" instead. How can I be used in this situation to point to God? How is God going to work this ultimately for good?
It is so difficult to switch from the "why" to the "how" but it's a good, growing process. I have been feeling so many similar feelings lately with Cutler's death, so also know that you are not alone!
Thank you for those song lyrics too. Beautiful.
I too like to listen to music for encouragement. Here is a song that might bring you some encouragement when you are feeling heartbroken and unsure of God's plan...
BRING THE RAIN By: MERCY ME
Look it up on youtube...I pray it will touch your heart as it has mine...
Blessings,
Stephanie
www.thehamptonfam.blogspot.com
www.sweetkamydnn.blogspot.com
I found you on Libbi's blog. I am so sorry you are hurting right now. It is a hard when you have a child with a sick heart. I go through cycles of worry and it's hard. It is good to have days when we can vent and have a good cry.
Becca-Ellie's mom
Katie, I am so sorry for your constant pain and worry. I wish so bad there was something that could take it away. I can only imagine what it would be like to have a constant worry and all I can think is you are such a special person and special mom and God needs you in the world of CHD. You will make a difference. So sorry for your friends loss it just isn't fair or understandable. Wish I could give you a hug but since I can't I am sending you a pretend one.. :) Take care and smile because you have the cutest daughter ever. Love Ya. Randee
Love you Katie. The great thing about the future is that it comes one day at a time. Just one day at a time.
p.s.-Thanks for the advice about the shower.
I'm so sorry Katie...I wish I could give you a huge hug right now. Please let Michele and her family know that I will keep them in my thoughts and prayers, no parent should EVER have to lose a child...yes it does get exhausting, but whether it good or bad, I truly do believe that 'everything happens for a reason'. You are an AWESOME mother and don't EVER forget that! LOVE YOU!
Katie,
It's a good thing that we don't all crash at the same time, right?!
I just want to share a couple of quotes that I've read lately from the book "A Symphony in the Dark" by Barbara Rainey and Rebecca Rainey Mutz. Rebecca lost her first child right after she was born due to multiple heart and brain defects.
"Humans are afraid of pain. No one likes to hurt. We avoid it, mask it, and run from it, refusing to get close to pain even when it is not our own...Fear can make us superstitious and irrational.
But God does not act haphazardly.
Good and beauty can be found in the experience of loss if we are willing to embrace it. But finding the good and beautiful is only possible when we believe that God is lovingly sovereign, that pain is not random, not without origin, not without purpose."
"We also believe that death is in fact a disease that infects all of humanity, yet we know with certainty that God never intended that we should die. Death feels so wrong to all who face it because it is so wrong. Intuitively we feel the discord, the incongruity that screams, 'This should not be!' that strongly suggests there is another way. This clash within is a call to our hearts to believe the gospel."
"Likewise, the Creator of all beauty knows that in His living works of art and song the most beautiful are those who have known the darkness of pain and loss... Truly the experience of death makes the experience of the gift of life all the more precious and beautiful. This, I believe, is the message of Romans 8:28: 'And we know that for those who love God all things work together for good, for those who are called according to his purpose.'"
And by Larry Crabb
"The suffering caused by shattered dreams must not be thought of as something to relieve if we can or endure if we must. It's an opportunity to be embraced, a chance to discover our desire for the highest blessing God wants to give us, an encounter with Himself!"
Katie, here in San Diego it has been cloudy and raining ever since the 12th. Thank you so much for your words and sharing this song. It is so hard the reminder that we never know how long we have with someone here on Earth...trying to cherish every moment. God Bless you and your family~
What a powerful post. Thank you for this! And for your love and prayers.
Post a Comment