Wednesday, March 30, 2011

year of the Fontan

It seems as though this is the year of the Fontan...possibly because most of the heart friends we've met on-line are Maddie's age or just slightly older; therefore, we're hitting these staged surgeries at about the same time. The majority of the kids I've followed are single-ventricle kiddos like our daughter, having the same surgeries to fix their broken hearts as Maddie's. Many are enduring their Fontan surgery or post-op recovery as I type this. It's been helpful to read their blogs and I've been hopeful as most have done quite well! I've been encouraged, given a "good idea" of how it should all go, and learned ways of how to prepare myself and Maddie as we soon face her Fontan surgery.

Please say a prayer tonight for some of our special heart friends who are now post-Fontan! across the nation: Mary Clare, Colby, Aly, Parker, and Joshua. They are an inspiration. And speaking of inspiration, if you have a chance, listen to this new Rascal Flatts song, "I Won't Let Go" (it's at the bottom of our blog playlist, just scroll down) and grab some tissues if you're a heart mom!

4 comments:

Amy Bennett said...

Wow, I love this post - mostly hearing about all these kids being post-Fontan! What a thrill it is to say that. Our turn one day - your turn sooner than ours. :-)

Kristen said...

Ugh--my sister sent me this song about a month ago and I only made it about 2 seconds before I was a teary mess. So good and so appropriate for a heart family.

I've loved following Miss Maddie's journey and wish you luck as you approach fontan time!

Kristen Ritchie
http://littlemissritchie.blogspot.com

Baby Hung said...

Yup I cried. Thanks :)

Kacy said...

Yay, we are post-Fontan, and it feels wonderful. As I type this, it's 10PM and MC is still up playing "Ariel" with her Daddy, "Prince Eric." It's a wonderful feeling.

It was very different, to say the least, than the past two surgeries. I hope my posts can somewhat prepare you as Maddie faces her Fontan. I think the months prior to the surgery are the most difficult. You just get thrown back into those emotions all over again. The ones that you've not felt in so long. (It seems.) Just take a deep breath, pray and do what you've done all along. :) You're a super heart mom and Maddie is a super heart kiddo! I'll keep praying for sweet Maddie and I'll pray for peace and less anxiety for you for the upcoming days. :) We'll make it!