Tuesday, June 14, 2011

We're Home!

We were discharged today at 11:30...home by 3 and Jace's baseball game was at 5. Yes, we've stayed quite busy today but busy was good. Maddie even got to go to the baseball game!!! Beautiful day + outside = ok for her to be around people. After playing in the hospital playroom each day this week, I came to the conclusion that we can "expand the bubble" a bit. It's good for all of our health, especially mental health!

Right before discharge, Dr. McMullan came by to break the news that there was a bit more fluid on this morning's x-ray than the last 2 previous days. So...we will be watching her closely but no need to re-insert a chest tube and I can monitor her closely at home vs. the hospital. Plus she was feeling so good and ready to bust the joint this morning, there was no way they were going to keep her locked up there! She's doing fantastic inspite of the fluid and was so happy to get home today. Medically, her diuretic was increased and I will pay closer attention to what she's eating (trying for less sodium in the diet) as well as how much fluid intake she has. Overload of fluid and lack of pee will result in fluid reaccumulating. We follow up with her Ped. this week as well as Card. in 9 days. Of course both offices welcome us anytime if anything should come up and now I won't be dismissing her symptoms as post-op pain and fatigue, like I did before. I've pulled out her sat monitor as well as my stethescope to monitor her oxygen levels and breath sounds each day.

I have more to share but I'm tired and ready to go watch a movie with the family. Good night and will update with some pics and more info later! Thanks for cheering Maddie on once again :)

4 comments:

Becky Noftle said...

It's a true joy to be her cheerleader.

Brenda said...

Her cheerleader and her nurse and her mom! You are super woman Katie.

Allison said...

Glad to hear that you are home again! I hope that the 3x a day lasix does the trick, but please keep us posted! I myself am now questioning every time that Grant seems extra tired or cranky...yikes!

Anonymous said...

So glad to see you are home again. Not sure how you are all keeping the exhaustion at bay. Isn't it wonderful to have your families near by to help? Maddie and you all are never far from our minds or our prayers.
love you guy,
barbara