Monday, July 4, 2011

Independence



Today has a new meaning for me...not only are we celebrating our country's freedom but our baby is not a baby anymore. She has found her independence and Maddie's quite quickly turned into a kid. I can honestly say we've seen this transformation happen in the past couple of weeks since her surgery. Maybe it's because I've let down my guard with her, letting her play like a typical 3 year old, or maybe it's because she doesn't feel as lousy and tired from the lack of oxygen her body was so used to getting by on. I assume it's the latter. But watching her par-take in the fireworks we had last night for Nany's birthday party defined independence. She played hard with her brothers and cousins, running and carrying on with her precious half-heart like she has a whole one. She kept up.

I found myself taking big sighs of relief watching her. She's as healthy as she's ever been and it will only be 6 weeks tomorrow since her heart and little body endured surgery. The fontan has done wonders for her and for our family. I'm a fontan fan. Simply put, Maddie is more liberated and it's a joy to witness. I'm so glad we have a baby coming this fall though...I've turned around and this little girl is quickly growing-up. Her heart is happy and so is ours.

10 comments:

Jenna said...

Hi Maddie and Family
My name is Jenna and I came across your site. U are a courageous, strong and determined fighter. U are a brave warrior smilen champ and an inspirational hero. I was born with a rare life threatening disease, and i love it when people sign my guestbook. www.miraclechamp.webs.com

Natasha said...

Praise the Lord :)

Jenny said...

Awwww.. I am a "fontan fan" too! :) She looks great- so pink and happy. :) :)

The Smith's said...

Wow, Katie, this is so awesome to read! And you have no idea how much this encourages me ... for so long I have feared the Fontan, but I feel like I'm getting to a place where I'm somewhat ready for it. No date yet, but my heart feels like it will be next summer and I just pray it helps Luke like it has helped Maddie! She is just so amazing!

Unknown said...

This brings me so much joy to read. We are preparing for Mason's fontan and I find myself having day's of panick and then days of relief feeling thankful this will soon be 100% behind us.
Reading about your journey through the fontan has helped to settle my anxiety and I am so thankful that you have shared!

michele said...

Wow! It makes me cry! What a fabulous independence day! I am so thankful Maddie's fontan surgery went so well, what a blessing!!

Anonymous said...

Incredible!!! I am so happy for you and your family Katie. My God continue to bless you all, and your new little one too.

Jen, Paul and Gracie said...

Love this!! These are definitely the words that a pre Fontan mama needs to read and eases my fears a bit. I dream about that day when Gracie will be running around on the 4th with lots of energy. Thanks so much for your sweet note and super cute photo of Maddie.

The Smith's said...

Hey friend! The swing is made by Fisher-Price and it's called "My Little Lamb". As I type, she's sleeping away in it again!

Wyndi said...

We will be walking in the walk hope you guys can make it too
CHD Awareness Walk
It's My Heart Greater Seattle Chapter
July 23, 2011 Begins at 10AM
Warren G. Magnuson Park
Seattle, Washington