Wednesday, November 30, 2011

cardiology check-up

Maddie's 6 month Fontan follow-up was Monday in Seattle. She had a full work up at the hospital and everything looks great! Dr. Chun was very pleased with her echo, he was able to see her PA's and the Fontan site, thanks to clear pictures and a very cooperative little girl. It's usually difficult getting clear shots of her PA's, due to the scar tissue from past surgeries. Her fenestration (hole created in the conduit) is still there and she seems to be very dependent on that so no hurry on getting it closed anytime soon. Dr. Chun feels like we should address it though in the next year, in which she'll need to have another heart catheterization in order to close it. Her 02 sats were 85-88% which is where he believes they have leveled out at. We had hoped she'd end up more in the 90's but with her anatomy and likelihood of forming collateral vessels, her sats are on the low side for a post-Fontan kid. Fortunately, it doesn't seem to bother her a bit and since she's as high as she's ever been oxygen wise, her body is loving it! Maddie has had more activity, color and just overall better health since her surgery so we'll take the upper 80's and not complain :) She weighed 39 lbs. and was 40 inches in height--yes, she's grown a bunch since her surgery too. I can't believe she's in the 80th percentile for growth! Miss Maddie doesn't need to be seen again for 6 months, unless something comes up. When I stop and think of all she's been through this year, it's truly amazing and reminds me of how remarkable that little heart of hers is.

10 comments:

Jen, Paul and Gracie said...

Hooray for a great report! I'm glad you mentioned Maddie's growth spurt. I have been stocking up on clothes for Gracie in the 31 -38 lb size thinking that with losing weight from surgery she will be wearing those clothes forever, but maybe not so! The Fontan is clearly agreeing with Maddie :)

Unknown said...

So good to hear! She is amazing.

Jenny said...

Awesome check up! We'll keep our fingers crossed that the fenestration closes on its own- one less heart cath is always a good thing, right?
Aly has gained a lot of weight since her Fontan too- I guess I didn't even realize how hard her little body was working pre Fontan. So glad to hear she got a six month pass! Go Maddie Go!

Unknown said...

I just LOVE hearing about how well Maddie is doing! It gave us so much hope with Mason during our Fontan/ hospital stay!!!

Brenda said...

All I can say is...!!!!!!!!!!!

Becky Noftle said...

Great---love good Dr. reports!

the Kohrs said...

what a great report! here's to a merry Christmas and a healthy new year!

Anonymous said...

i'm so sorry i missed your visit! i didn't get out of the OR until 3:30pm and by the time i ran back to clinic terry said you guys had left already. i guess i will just have to wait until summer to get to visit with you all and meet the new little mister. glad to hear you guys are all doing so well.
wishing you all the happiest and healthiest holiday season!
-ray

Anonymous said...

So glad things are going great. Your little family is truly amazing. You all are truly an inspiration to all of us. Love and prayers your way always, my big Katie.
Sheri

michele said...

I love this great report. Katie, you are inspiriing, fun, a fabulous mom and the list goes on! I appreciate you in so many ways!