Today is Maddie's 2nd Fontanniversary! Two years ago, Maddie was in the OR, having her third open heart surgery, the Fontan. It's hard to believe that at this time two years ago, her heart was stopped and she was put on bypass so Dr. M could put a fenestration (hole) in the gortex tube he placed in her heart, which does the work of returning blood back to her heart. No pumping of the blood back from her body to her heart...it just flows by gravity and bypasses the teeny, underdeveloped heart side of her heart. Bizarre to think about.
So what is Miss Maddie doing two years later? Well, she's 4 days away from finishing preschool...
Our preschool recently toured Red Rock Elementary's Kindergarten classrooms as well as ate hot lunch in the cafeteria, this little girl is SO EXCITED and talks daily about going to Kindergarten. She also mentions things like, "Mom, you'll be ok, I'll come back home" or "You can come visit me but I will stay and you'll go home and take care of Sammy"...can you guess who has the anxiety about Kinder? It's not Maddie!
She just had her ballet performance, which she add-libbed some moves in the routine a few times (and it was stinking cute that she did) she loves to perform!
Maddie's enjoyed the kittens we've had lately...2 batches within a month of each other. Thanks to Maddie & Sam, these kittens don't stand a chance at being wild! Those two are kitty tamers extraordinaire!
Life post-Fontan is awesome! Maddie is doing so well and by looking at her, you would never guess she's been through so much in 5 years. She just had her bi-annual check up with Dr. C on May 6th. Her echo was clear, Laura was able to get awesome pics of her heart, which we learned is doing great! Her sats were 90%, she's 47" tall and weighed 52 lbs. That's 17 pounds in 2 years! I'd say her heart really loves it's repair...her growth spurt proves that!
Life has really moved on for us, we do keep in touch with fellow heart families but the heart world doesn't overshadow our lives like it did 2 years ago. I've loved this new normal and I'm so in love with this little girl. She amazes me everyday and the gratitude I feel for her and for His grace over her and our family overwhelms my heart at times.
5 comments:
This post makes me so happy, Katie. I love hearing how normally you guys are living your lives and how much Maddie is thriving. I seriously love this girl! I hope to see you next week!
I just can't get over how big Maddie is! She's such a beautiful girl too. We a looking forward to seeing you. Happy Fontaniversary.
We are so happy that this is where you are on your journey with Maddie. It makes us all so happy to see her doing so well. The ballet recital was priceless. Love you Moomers!
She's so lovely! Congratulations. :D As you saw on our blog, we're starting down the Fontan path for this summer. It's hard to see, now that M's older, but so worth it when you get to the other side. Hugs to everyone!
It is so wonderful that she is doing so well! What a blessing! She is such a sweet, beautiful girl!!
Post a Comment