Friday, June 13, 2008

3 Months Old!

 

 

 
Posted by Picasa


It's hard to believe that Maddie is already 3 months old today. In most ways, it has flown by yet it feels like she's been a part of our lives for a very long time. Finding out prenatally about her heart defect made this so...I quickly became very attached to the little life growing inside me because I then learned how fragile and miraculous life really is. This also brought my attention to many things I took for granted; good health being the major one. Having Maddie has taught me to cherish every day, to live in the moment and to not take things for granted like I used to. The motto that I've been reciting to myself daily is "don't let tomorrow take away from today". It's easy to worry about the complexity and uncertainty of Maddie's heart, and I've found myself despairing over what 'could' happen and the fear that I feel is like none I've ever experienced. But I'm learning this gets me no where, except spiraling down. While worrying and crying over 'what could happen', I miss out on the precious moments I have with her and the boys right now. Since being housebound, life has slowed down for us and what blessings have unfolded from this! Our days are much simpler now, I don't feel in a rush like I used to, and it's a very peaceful feeling. I know life will pick back up for us again, but having a taste of this for the past three months has surely opened my eyes to what is really important. I'm truly grateful for this time I've had. And when things pick back up again and I find myself digging that hole, I will remember how to find this peace. So thank you, my pretty girl, for teaching me how to live more wisely and well and for making me pay attention to the precious time we have here. My heart is truly full and I couldn't be more blessed.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Katie,

Oh....the tears are on!!Such beautiful and meaningful words. I'm so very proud of you...Every mother wants for her children exactly what you have discovered...time and the ability to recognize the "real" importance of everyday life. To also see the beauty and joy in the ordinary. We all have lost sight of this in a very "fast" world. Maddie will continue to teach us and so will you. Thank you, Mom

KELLY said...

Katie,

Just as Maddie has taught you the "real" importance she (and you) are also passing it on to us. Thank you for sharing your beautiful girl with us. Oh...those eyes and that smile!!! What a treasure she is.

Kelly

Anonymous said...

Katie ~
Your words put it all in perspective. I find myself worryig about the small stuff all the time & being away frm home so much and in reality. . . you have taught me a great deal. I love your motto "don't let tomorrow take away from today." It's very powerful. . .just as you and Maddie. Once again, your strength & courage are teaching the rest of us the importance of life. Love ya lots. Kelsey

Anonymous said...

Beautiful smiles! Ditto on the rest. Talk to you soon.
Angie

Brenda said...

Well said! She's adorable!

Louise said...

Hooray for you Katie. Your post is beautifully worded and so true, every bit of it. I feel so sorry for young Moms that can't stay home with their little ones, CHD or not. It is such a fleeting moment. Keep up the good work, and the pictures are beautiful! Louise

Anonymous said...

Happy 3 Months Maddie! It seems to go oh so fast. Thank you for your words of wisdom Katie, I needed to hear this myself as I also tend to 'sweat the small stuff' in life. There are so many more important things to focus on in this crazy world, like our precious little ones:) Looks like Maddie has found her smile real well...what a cutie!!! Take care and enjoy this beautiful sunshine!
Love, Krista

Becky Noftle said...

Sheesh Katie you've got me crying again--sweet pictures and sweet words. You should work for Hallmark! Maddie is a little baby gap ad!

Marnie Bergeson said...

She's really growing fast. It's fun to check in with your little family. It's an example for me and many others, I'm sure.

Anonymous said...

Im so glad to see that maddie is doing so well reading your blog has helped me understand and come to a piece of mind a little since we have found out our baby has the same defect. I just want to say how strong you are and I hope that I can find the same strength. Tracy

The B Family said...

Happy Birthday, Maddie! You are so beautiful and bring a smile to my face just looking at your toothless grin!
Many blessings to you!!!
Heart hugs~ Rebecca

The Allreds said...

Hi Katie!
Maddie's precious smile couldn't be sweeter! Thanks for sharing the photos!
Yes, I'm full of tears here in my basement, hoping no one will find me : )
In our playroom we have the saying posted, "treasure each moment!" It's sooooo true! Thanks for your tender reminder also.
Love ya.
Will we get to see you at the reunion this summer?