Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Shots, shots and more shots

Today Maddie had her 6 month well-child exam and immunizations. She's a month off... I was worried about her weight gain because she's been such a turkey about eating lately! We never reach the volume that the dietician wants her at and she's just been such a snacker. Bad habit...Shockingly, she weighed 15 lbs. 12.5 oz! I even had the nurse re-weigh her because I was in disbelief. So in 30 days, she gained 25 ounces!!! Wow, I know! That's well over the 1/2 oz. a day goal! Eating some solids has really paid off I guess. As for the immunizations, she got a half dose of her flu shot (the boys got theirs too and now we're all taken care of) as well as her DTAP and HIB. In a month we'll go back for the other flu shot as well as a couple of more immunizations. Then she'll be caught up until she's a year old. Starting in November through April, she'll get her Synagis series. This immunization is to help prevent RSV and she'll have the Synagis shot every 30 days. The cost of each shot is, get ready, $1600!!! It's only allocated for "high risk" kids and being a cardiac kid qualifies her for them. Luckily, our insurance will cover the cost. Lots of pokes for our sweet girl. But it will all be worth it if this can help keep her healthy this winter!

4 comments:

Brenda said...

$1600? Yikes! All hail health insurance.

The Hitchcock Family said...

Katie, I'm so excited about Maddie's weight gain!!! What great news. It's nice when you see a good number on that scale! You are doing an awesome job as always! I don't know about you, but going through this experience is teaching me so much about patience! Thanks for all of your encouragement and support...you have been such a great help to me!

Mimi said...

We just did the whole flu shot rigamerole... why says rigamerole???

It didn't go over too well with my daughter, but Jense took it like a champ.

thanks so much for calling- it is so fun to chat with heart mommies... call anytime. I will send your video back soon. It is on my list ;-)

I can't believe that shot costs so much... that is insaine!! We have been watching all of the bills roll in for Mia- it is pretty comical.

Anonymous said...

I was just thinking today that I need to call and make Madyn's 6 month appt. (actually I've been thinking about it since the 17th when she turned 6 months) but I just hate it so I've been putting it off. Louden needs to go for his 2 year also...I'm so bad! Looks like you guys had lots of fun at the pumpkin patch, great family memories:) Praise the Lord for insurance!!! Take Care, Krista