Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Christmas

Early Christmas at my parents...
Great Grandma Shirley (Maddie's only living great grandparent)
Spiderman & Transformers, yeah!
Stewart grandkids with Nany and Ba
Christmas Eve at our house...
Grandma Nany & Maddie

Christmas morning...

Maddie's favorite was the candy canes!

Christmas Day at Grandma & Grandpa Allred's

Maddie & Grandma Allred

Cousin Jillian & Maddie (they're 6 weeks apart)

Auntie Lesa & Maddie bonded this Christmas

Jace & Mooms, Cade was napping and missed the photo


Our family get-togethers began on the 22nd and lasted until the 27th! We've been so low-key this year, it was a busy week! Luckily, everywhere we went is less than 10 miles from our home so we didn't have to travel with the bad weather and roads. Christmas was wonderful and watching the boys relish the "magic" was so fun. When Jace woke up on Christmas morning, he came into the living room and saw his gifts and stocking under the tree but didn't go over to it right away...he had to first see if Santa left any cookies and milk, his first words were "Yep, they're gone, Santa came!"

I was emotional this Christmas and just entirely grateful for His grace in our lives. Isn't it amazing that God sent His son to save us, as a sweet, helpless infant? What HOPE a baby brings, symbolizing new life and new beginnings. We know of this first hand. With each of our babies, our lives have become more enriched. But a whole new world opened up for us with Maddie, one we didn't even know existed, and I feel so blessed for this...what hope Maddie's life has brought to us all...that a baby can be born with only 1/2 of a functioning heart is a miracle in itself. Through this journey I have experienced the most heartache and the most joy I've ever known. But on Christmas, my heart went out to all of our heart friends and I couldn't help but feel some guilt that we were home spending the holidays with our healthy daughter and family while many of them were in hospitals or at home with empty arms, their baby was spending the first Christmas in heaven. This sure makes us keep perspective, knowing that life can change quickly and that we should relish every minute. Even though Maddie's heart can never be fixed, and it feels terminal at times, I wouldn't trade this. The blessings we've learned through her are immeasurable and life is much more amazing than ever before! This first Christmas with her will be one I'll forever cherish.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Katie ~
Your strength and courage continue to shine thru.....some 9mos following Maddie's birth. She's a very lucky lil' girl with a warm and loving family surrounding her every move. God has blessed you and I have no doubt, He will continue to do so. Happy Holidays and many wishes for the New Year.
As Clint and I wait patiently the arrival of our 2nd child, I often think of you and all that you're taught me thru Maddie's journey and somehow my fears are soothed and my heart is warmed. Maddie has reminded us all of the power He holds and the wisdom He shares. We send our love to your family.
Clint, Kelsey & Wade Endicott

efuhriman said...

As always I enjoy reading the words that you write you sound to intouch with the spirit. You should never feel guilty that Maddie is doing so well. We enjoy seeing grow and reading as she hits new milestones in her life. I love that you got to hold her and spend time with her on christmas. We are living part of heavenly fathers plan and were glad his plan has her here in your are.
Love the Fuhrimans

Anonymous said...

Katie~ So glad to hear that you had a wonderful Christmas spent with family! God is so good and his love and grace for you and your family has been so evident:) My heart is so full of joy for you as Maddie is doing so well...growing and passing milestones and just healthy. I know what you mean feeling a bit guilty with Maddie home healthy while other babies are sick or now gone to be with the Lord. I will always remember the day when we, w/o knowing, had our 2nd ultrasounds scheduled one after the other. I came out with good news that they could now see Madyn's 4th chamber and she was ok. Then it was your turn and it wasn't until a week or so later that I learned of Maddie's heart defect. I remember feeling so much guilt & just crying. I shed tears of joy that we would soon deliver our 4th healthy child and at the same time tears of heartache for what you would soon endure. My heart truly ached for you. What I've realized though (and I know you have too) is that it is simply His plan for each of our lives. I may not have a heart baby but I have had other trials in my life and I'm sure that there will be other heartaches that God will allow in my days ahead that will draw me closer to Him and ultimately bring him glory. I am so thankful for my Jesus and for you and for Maddie and all the other heart babies out there for you all have touched me so deeply! Happy New Year! In His Love, Krista

Faith M. said...

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year! I found your blog from http://masonfamilyupdate.blogspot.com/ . I love meeting new heart families. My daughter, Maggie Jane is 21 months old and has HRHS with DILV, TGA, and interrupted aortic arch. She is doing great. We hope she will have her Fontann this summer, but we'll have to see. Your Maddie is beautiful and it looks like she is doing great. Feel free to visit us at www.happyheartsblog.com
-Faith