Monday, March 23, 2009

Girls just wanna have fun!

It's hard to believe that just a year ago, Maddie was lying in a CICU baby warmer bed, sedated, paralyzed, being pumped full of meds, trying to heal that little 5 lb. body with a walnut-sized heart. Watching her recover those first few days after her first open-heart surgery was so difficult. Time seemed to tick by so slowly. She was sick and pretty much lifeless. I can only recall bits and pieces from those days.

I would have never thought we'd be having this much fun with her a year later. Watching her transform from that to where she is now is simply remarkable! Just a year later, our baby is into everything! She's crawling everywhere, finding toilets with the lids left up to splash in (yes, it's gross and we're working on this one), she be-bops to music, and she's cruising around furniture. Mooms devours mac & cheese, kisses her baby doll, yells at the dog and cats, is now 19.4 lbs!, and has everyone still wrapped around that little heart of hers. We've had lots more fun in 2009, besides her birthday party, so here's a few pics to prove that girls do just wanna have fun...Time sure flies when you are!!!


Look at her now...eating chocolate pudding!


Teagan's 1st birthday party this past weekend...celebrating with the Maxwell's was so much fun! Teags is the cutest and our girls are quite the pair. Happy 1st Birthday Teagie!!! We love you heart sis :)

Scooting around with Teag's at the Gym

Maddie's head stands!

Taking a break from all her gymnastics moves...

A playdate with Brooke...her mommy, Carrie, and I were also friends when we were this little!

Emma, Maddie & Brooke with "not so fun" faces and in need of naps after the fun they had

Wearing her favorite blinking tiara! She loves wearing it and when she successfully gets it on her head for a second or two, this is what she does...kicks and shrieks of happiness! Her daddy tends to put this on his little girl often, she's literally daddy's little princess!

Plenty of kisses and cookies...ok, she does eat healthy food too! Promise!

Maddie always has fun with Nany...even at doctor's appointments!

Grandma spoiling Maddie with cake at Jill's 1st birthday party...it was a great warm-up for her upcoming birthday!

Posing and playing with the Allred girl cousins: Jadyn, Jillian, Randi, Savanna & Maddie. Savanna (holding Maddie) is doing the "jump rope for heart" in honor of Maddie in her PE class this month! Thanks Nanna and good luck!

Lots of fun with heart friends!!!

Meeting a new heart sister, Carlie...and at Disneyland of all places! FUN!

Maddie with her friend Ava after their first tea party with mommy's and grandma's, this is the expression you get when too many women are saying "CHEESE"! They look spooked!
Maddie & Kylie making cousin Tripp cry, isn't that what girls are supposed to do...make boys cry? Not really, he's just crying because he keeps getting mistaken for a girl! Such a pretty little guy!

We're sure enjoying all of the fun this little girl has brought us!!!

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Katie,
The look on her face with the tiara is absolutely priceless!! She is too cute and seems pretty funny just like her mommy. Love it
Randee...

Brenda said...

Okay, out of my three kids, Abby was the biggest at one year and she weighed 19 lbs 3 oz.! How awesome is Maddie doing?!

Miller Family said...

Cute pictures. Of course I especially love the one with Emerson!! So glad Maddie and Emma will grow up together. Good to see you last Sunday. Have a great week!

michele said...

I LOVE these pictures!! And girls just wanna have fun for sure!!

The Smith's said...

What a great post ... those pictures are priceless. It always astounds me to compare the "then" and "now". You know there will be another picture like the first, but nothing compares to the joy of seeing your heart child live life to the fullest. Maddie is doing just that! What a sweetie!

Hope you all are doing well!

Jesse

The Mason Family said...

Great post! I hope that 2009 brings more fun and more happiness...sweet Maddie deserves every bit of it! Oh and chocolate and cake are food, and great food for our heart babies, no need to make excuses, as long as they are eating those much needed calories right?!? Hope all is well...

The B Family said...

Precious Pictures, Katie! Maddie is just adorable...such a beautiful baby (big) girl!

Love to y'all~ Rebecca

Becky Noftle said...

Despite what I say at times-- girls stay fun, they really do.

The Hitchcock Family said...

Katie, I love it! Maddie is doing so great, and she is just beautiful! I love all of your pictures of her. I know you are having so much fun with her, and I hope that the fun never ends!!! I especially love the song. Girls Just Wanna Have Fun is one of my favorite movies ever! By the way, I can't believe she weighs almost 20 lbs...Go Maddie!!!!! She is getting so big, and I know you are happy about that!

Kathy said...

I found your blog through baby Cain's. His Mom is a friend and co-worker of mine.
Your little girl is so BEAUTIFUL. I can tell what a blessing she is to you and your family and friends. Thank God that HE has put the skills that are required to mend these little hearts in the hands of the awesome doctors that treat them. I was not very familiar with all of this until Cain and am so surprised to find out how many families have children that are born with "broken hearts". I will add your little one to my prayer list. Give her a post Birthday hug from this Granny of 5.

Suth-ern Mama said...

yay! Congrats, Maddie! Congrats, Katie! We are so happy for you! What a nice mile-marker. I might have to steal your idea for a song when Maia turns one in October! May God Bless you as you face the next year! Take Care!

Anonymous said...

Katie-What a wonderful post to read! Life is so surreal-Maddie looks beautiful as usual!! I love her flashing tiara! So darn cute! Love to see you soon! Love, Sheila