Friday, May 8, 2009

Branding

I was raised on a cow ranch, just 12 miles from where Bryan and I live now with our little brood. We are so fortunate to have both of our families share the same zip code. Spring is busy on our farm and also on my folk's ranch, and the kids and I try to share in this whenever we can. I had a wonderful childhood and want the kids to experience much of what I did growing up. Riding horses, gathering and working cattle, and competing in rodeos was how I spent much of my time and this way of life was "branded" into me. It was such a fun way to grow up. Although there are fences all over the ranch, we kids were not fenced in and gained an early independence this way. So many memories and adventures... I hope my kids will experience this type of freedom as well.
Here's a picture of the Saddle Mountains that the ranch sits at the base of. This valley where I grew up is called Symrna and I always feel so peaceful when I'm down there. Life just seems to slow down a bit. Here's my cowboys...Cade's hat looks a little pilgrimish! Climbing fences at the branding with cousin Jett Henry. These three have so much WILD fun together...dirty faces, skinned up knees & elbows, and asleep at the dinner table. This sums up a busy day at the ranch for these boys.
Mooms and Nany relaxing in the sweet sunshine at the branding. Maddie "mmmmm's" (her moo sound) everytime she sees a cow or calf. She was konked out after her "mmmming" all morning.
Uncle Ryan and the boys getting ready to go mark the calves' heads. This is the little kid job. They really get off easy since my job at the brandings at their age was the "ball bucket"...yes, I had to collect the rocky mountain oysters with my bare hands after they cut the bull calves to save in the bucket for the crew who liked to eat them- and NO, I've NEVER tried them!!! Disgusting and I gag at the thought of it...heard they taste like chicken though!My older brother had his saddle made with the ranch brand on it, Circle 11. The ranch has been in my dad's family for 4 generations now. Between my dad and my 2 brothers, there are 4 brands that are used to distinguish who's herd they belong to. Bry and I also have a brand, as well as his parents and grandparents. We have a feedlot full of fat cattle, many of them were my dad's/brother's last calf crop. With the growth of our families, we may just have to start branding the kids in order to tell who belongs to who!
Here's the branding crew minus my mom, Grandma Shirley, and I (we were just the cooks...) Even Miss Maddie made the picture with Ba! Branding usually takes the month of April to get through all of the calves. It's a fun time!
Uncle Ryan got the boys their first ropes. He also dug out his old roping dummy so they could practice... I'm going to have to get back in the saddle soon so I can prove to them that I can rope! They don't quite believe me...mom's aren't supposed to do this, I guess. It's a great skill though and I may just need to break out my old ropes to get my kids in line... My dad filling a syringe of vaccine. All of the calves get shots, branded, and ear marked before they get turned out on the range with their mama's for the summer months.

Jason on a colt, coiling up his rope after "holding one" on horseback. We still brand the old-fashioned way, all on horseback and "rodeo" style-healing the calf and dragging it to the fire for branding. Sometimes it's good watching with all of the crazy wrecks than can happen!
Ryan branding a calf...this smell brings back so many memories for me. I know, I'm weird.
Nany, Maddie, Aunt J and Kylie Rose enjoying the branding from the side-lines. Maddie liked teething on the rusty fence...
They make pretty handsome cowboys...normally they're in "farm boy" mode until they get on the ranch. We'll see if any of our kids want to rope/rodeo like their mama did. Yes people, I was a cowgirl...still am deep down.
Here's the proof...

18 comments:

The Smith's said...

That is so impressive my friend! Look at you! Thanks for sharing this part of your life, since we "west-siders" only know the "brands" at the mall =) What a fantastic place for your kids to grow up and the fact that their mama can RODEO will earn them bragging rights on the playground big time!

Can't wait until we can meet up again!

Suth-ern Mama said...

Wow! What a great place to grow up! Thank you for sharing your home with us. It is gorgeous! I can just smell the fresh air and green grass right now...well, and maybe some cattle "smells" too! :)


Trina Sutherland

Courtney said...

Katie that looks like so much fun! I had no idea it was such a process! You need to tell me next time because Avery and I would think that was so fun to watch! What a neat post! (Avery thinks it's cool that Jace is a "real" cowboy hat)

The Hands said...

So that's what you've been up to! Look like so much fun. I always wanted to live out west and marry a cowboy...I just got a little farther North and married a wanna-be with horses. Have fun!
Angie

Stacy said...

Hi, Katie! Been checking in on your blog, LOVE the branding pictures. Nothing more fun in the spring. We too have been branding all April with our friends, and the old fashioned way...absolutely love it! My kids live for it. I can completely relate to the smell of the branding, and yes, my son is the ball collector and loves it...ugh! Yes, they do taste like chicken...heeheehee. Love them! I posted some pictures on my blog a few weeks ago of branding, cougfans.blogspot.com. Nothing like the sweet baby calves and spring. Thanks for a the great blog, love to peak in and see what you are up to. :)
Stacy McKay Aune
P.S. Love the picture from the good ole' days! Seems like yesterday.

The Mason Family said...

WOW, I just learned so much right now! I had no idea so much went into branding...thanks for the lesson :)

Anonymous said...

And a cowgirl you still are. For those of you that don't know this side of Katie she was one hell of a roper and could probably still kick anyone's *#&@( today. She was the one people wanted to beat. Love this post...
Love ya,
Randee

Miller Family said...

You go girl! I can't wait for you to show your boys (and Maddie) your roping skills. Back in college I went to a branding and wow were my eyes opened wide! They did it the old fashioned way as well and I can still smell the smell of burning flesh and fur and hear the whining of the calves. I think the boys would enjoy watching so maybe next April we can come watch. They would actually love to get in and get dirty as well.
Thanks for sharing your life before being a mom. I am sorry I never got a chance to see you rodeo, but I sure did hear how awesome you were! Have a wonderful Mother's Day Katie!!!

Faith M. said...

Thanks for sharing this side of you! Awesome pictures and what an amazing life for your kids. I definitely did not grow up on a ranch, but I did grow up in the country. We each had our own horse. I got my 1st pony when I was 2 yrs old! I did the small town horse shows and competed in the speed races: barrels, poles, etc... My brother was a really good barrel racer. Anyway, there is nothing like growing up in the country and that is the life we wanted for our kids. So that's where we are. We live on 3 of my Dad's 24 acres, and the kids love it. There's nothing better than a kid who's been outside all day. TIRED!
Happy Mother's Day!

Brenda said...

I knew all this about you, but it still impresses me!

michele said...

I love this post!! Sharing your childhood... but also sharing what your kids are doing...a huge advantage to raising children "next door" to where you were raised.
I love a "country life" for our boys. And the feeling of not being "fenced in"... pretty awesome.
It looks like your boys and Jett Henry do have some WILD cousin fun... memories in the making.
Happy Mother's Day Katie!! You are a mother with WISDOM, love and character. I am proud to know you.

Unknown said...

Happy Mother's Day! Will be in Bellevue for Meg's clinic at the end of the month...too bad I won't get to see you guys.
Hope you all are well!
-Ray

Mimi said...

Alright cowgirl- I love this post. I completely envy your lifestyle. I would love for Mia (and the rest of us) to live on a farm.

The rodeo pic is awesome! I'm gonna need a close up shot of you doing some break away!! And while your at it scan in some pics of you with your trophies. I wish I could flash back and see you doing your thing at the rodeo.

Happy Mothers Day to the You- the best heart mommy, farming girl, rodeo star, quilt making self, and a million other things...greatest mom EVER!!

Jason Stewart Family said...

Hey these are so cute!Good job!

Brooke said...

So fun to hear about the cowboy world Katie! I could never picture you rodeoing, but there you are- cool!

Becky Noftle said...

If you invite us to go watch I will bring the baked beans!!

Melissa said...

Katie, I have to say that your description of branding and your reminscing of growing up on a ranch made me homesick! The cattle and all that goes with that lifestyle is something I definitely miss here in Alaska!

Thanks for sharing:-)
Love,
Melissa

RCA said...

https://www.cekaja.com/info/tanda-harus-resign-kerja-dari-kantor