Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Preschool Graduation

Right before this nasty virus (and mosquitoes) attacked our kiddos, the boys did have their preschool graduation on Memorial Day evening. They performed in a play and Big Bad Wolf (Jace) and Little Bear (Cade) did superb. It was a really cute, "new age" fairytale that was taped prior to the graduation program on one of the last days of preschool, so the crowd had the opportunity to watch it on big screen at the graduation. The class did so well with their lines, it was really impressive!

These boys are really good buds and having them together for this past year of preschool was just awesome. Thanks Mrs. Becky for such a fun year!!! Cade was advanced to his second year of preschool and Jace onto Kindergarten this August during the ceremony.




It's bittersweet knowing that our oldest is off to school this fall. My comfort in this is that Jace is so ready for school. BUT he will be terribly missed here at home by all of us. It's also tough realizing that there will be more "influences" in his life besides Bryan and I and I'll only get to spend about 6 waking hours with him a day. I'm surely going to miss him. He's a sweet little boy who adores his cousins and friends, is super creative, has an awesome imagination, loves to please, thought preschool was just "it", invents adventures for his lil' bro and himself, constructs some very cool objects, is great at riding his bike and swinging on the swing set. We are so proud of Jace and just looking at him makes us smile, inside and out. He has goals and when he sets his mind to something, he quickly achieves it. As I watched him ride away on his bike during our walk last night, I couldn't help but fall apart inside. My baby is growing up so fast...faster than he can pedal away from me. My role as mom is ever-changing...now I feel like I just need to hold on, help him steer when he needs it, and just enjoy the ride.

5 comments:

Jason Stewart Family said...

Jace, I am so proud of you riding your bike on your own! Way to go little fella! Your mom is right it seems like yesterday you were born. The first born makes it even more memorable. One of my most favorite things about is your one-liners -- that must come from your mom! I hope that this last summer of carefree freedom and innocence is the best ever. We love you very much and hope you come to visit sometime this summer.

Love,
Aunt Sybil

Krista said...

Katie~ I can't believe your baby is going to start kindergarten. You're right though you do need to hold on because once they start it goes ever so fast!!! Kayla only has 5 more years of school...seems impossible. Every time I remind myself of that I seriously end up in tears as I don't want this time of our lives to end. I love being a mom and being surrounded by our precious little ones, there's really nothing that compares. Hopefully we'll see each other this summer at the park or pond:) Take care, Krista
p.s. glad to hear you're all feeling better!

Rich and Alison Lee said...

Katie,

I am a friend of Suzie and JR Dean. I have been following your blog about Maddie for about a year. I just about cried when I read your last line of feeling a need to hold on, help him steer when he needs it, and just enjoy the ride. I interpreted that as "in life" not a bike ride. My oldest just graduated fro 8th grade last night and is about to take us on the ride through high school and I cannot believe it. I was sitting there seeing every child in his grade as a kindergartener. I cannot believe that we are here already. It seems like my almost high schooler should only be about three or four years old. I always knew that the time would fly bye, but this quickly??!! Enjoy every moment because after Jace reaches first grade you will be where I am...sadly.

Alison Lee

Miller Family said...

Oh Katie. I just tear up thinking of the day Ty started kinder and today as he got on the bus for his last day of 1st grade, he looked at me out the window and gave me a little wave and a smile. WOW! I just started to cry! Keep doing what you are doing. Love on him as much as possible and remember he has the best parents ever (great role models) and he will do great in school. Yes, there are some downfalls, but it makes us, and them, stronger for it. Enjoy your summer and I hope to see you around!!!!

PS Glad Maddie is feeling better!!

michele said...

Oh, I teared up sending Merit off to kindergarten... and I have struggled with the outside influences. But if we raise our kids right, they choose the right (for the most part!) Merit had such a fun kindergarten year full of discovery and learning!! I know Jace will too! Have a wonderful summer! I hope you have lots of lazy days of summer just making memories with your kids. :)