So Maddie and I took an ER visit late Saturday night to Wenatchee...she was admitted and observed in the hospital's peds wing until late yesterday afternoon. It's a mystery what is causing this rash/fever thingy that she's had off and on.
Remember the mosquito bites + hospital stay the first part of June? Well she's had 2 more bouts with this rash and each time she breaks out, she's itchy, feverish and then ends up with a virus of some sort. Metapnemovirus the first time, a stomach bug the second time and this time only a fever and loose diapers. We thought it was bites originally, now I know it's not. Tuesday morning she was covered with them, itching like crazy, and it's like her body gives us a little forewarning each time she's coming down with something OR she's allergic to something OR she's had this virus 3 times in a row OR it's chicken pox (which she's been immunized against and they're not quite pox like) OR some type of bug or spider, a "cantseeum", as I've been calling it keeps attacking her since another little creature wouldn't be capable of eating her up like this plus she sleeps about 6 feet from our bed OR ... IT'S A MYSTERY. Every doctor and nurse we've seen or talked to in the last month and half has a different take on it but they all agree that it's just weird.
So back to the ER visit, her fever was up to 104 (it had been low grade that day off and on and she hadn't had one yet with this breakout which began on Tuesday) and she was so irritable and fussy. I was thinking a bladder or kidney infection since she hadn't been peeing, or eating well, and the diaper I'd changed was pretty hot so I called Nephrology (her kidney docs) and they wanted her to get right in since she deals with the kidney reflux issue. She'd been off of her antibiotic for 3 days since at a doctor visit on Wednesday, Dr. Hourigan was thinking the Bacterim was causing the rash...like an allergic reaction. In the meantime, a new antibiotic was ordered for her kidney reflux, Nitrofurantoin, but did not get delivered to our local pharmacy by the weekend and wasn't shipped directly to us due to the heat wave we're having. Note: we live in the boondocks so her meds get shipped directly to us or to our little pharmacy here in town. So after waiting in the busy ER for an hour, she was taken back and amazingly, it only took 1 stick to get a peripheral arm vein and she was on her way for blood draws, IV fluids and a round of antibiotic. She was also cathed and urine was cultured since we were leaning towards a UTI, but the initial urine test came back fine and so were her labs. What?!?! So, Maddie is a mystery. This has not been contagious, we're all fine here at home (or immune to it) as well as the cousins and extended family we've been with here and there haven't had it either. It has really come and gone, lasts about 5-7 days then she's healthy and perky and then in the next week or so...it happens again. Could be coincidence or something we just haven't put our finger on yet.
As of now, the Infectious Disease Dept. at Children's is being informed of Maddie's mystery symptoms and hopefully we can get a consult with them at our appointments in Seattle this week. She's seeing the Nephrologist, Cardiologist, Ophtamologist, as well as has an echo and renal ultrasound scheduled, and I'm just praying that this gets resolved as something treatable! I'm sick of her "wearing it out" only to have it come right back again!
13 comments:
Miss Maddie!!!! What is going on? You are just so tough!! Uncle Jason says that you are the toughest kid he knows....!! Tripp is dancing to your blog music -- while Jett is praying for you!!! It goes,"Please, God let Miss Maddie's rash be gone! Amen...LOVE JETT!!!" I think you are sooo special-- and I am sure this rash will go away quickly!! I am sure of it! Our thoughts are with you!
How weird, and frustrating!I had no idea you were admitted again! Poor miss Maddie, hopefully they'll be able to solve the 'mystery' this week in Seattle and your visit is somewhat enjoyable. We're headed for cardio here wed. too, so we'll have to compare notes after! We'll be praying for Maddie, that they figure out whats 'bugging' her, that she feels better soon, and that it doesn't come back anymore! We love you guys! Hang in there...
That just stinks! You know Maddie and your family are always in my prayers. She is such a toughy and I hope you get some answers this week. Its so hard when you don't know. Hang in there :)
Oh no!! I hope they can figure this out quickly!! I know you are beyond frustrated with not knowing. We will keep Maddie in our prayers, as always!Keep us posted.
Oh My!! I hope they figure out what is going on!! Keeping Miss Maddie in my prayers!! Sending many **Heart Hugs** your way!!
With LOTS of Hope, Love, and Faith,
Lauren (21yr. old w/Tricuspid Atresia aka HRHS)
Blog: www.laurensheart.blogspot
Katie-Sure thinking about you guys this week. The "unknown" is so hard to take. Hope your appt goes well this week and this mystery rash is solved and overcome. Thinking of you! Love, Sheila and family
Oh noes!! I hope she gets to feeling better soon (and that someone finds an answer). It must be so frustrating. Please let me know if there's anything you need while here in town - although we don't have air conditioning at home like the hospital does. Take care!
I didn't know you were in the ER this weekend! How did I miss that? Weren't we swimming sat evening? Well I'm glad she's doing better. Hopefully your appointments this week will go smoothly and be helpful.
Love ya
Carly
Poor Baby...praying that the mystery is solved soon!
We are praying for maddie. Hope all goes well in seattle. I just wanted to thank you for the card in the mail. It feels so good to know people care. We love you guys and feel so blessed to have met you and say that were friends well have to get together soon give me a call next time your coming to town. Tracy Fuhriman
Katie~ So sorry to hear Maddie is still fighting this strange rash! I too will be praying for wisdom for the doctors in Seattle that they will figure what is causing this strange occurance. Take care, Krista
Katie-I'm sure they have thought of this but I am going to throw it out there anyway--fifth disease? It is in the form of a rash and there have been a few people in rc with it...(I hope I spelled it right but it has something to do with measles, mumps, etc..)
Our heart pal, what is going sweet-thing? May the Lord minister to your body and heal that fever and rash and whatever is causing to occur! We are praying for you, sweetie!
Post a Comment