Friday, August 29, 2008

Appointment Update


Maddie's cardiology appointment was awesome yesterday! Her echo looked good (she was "too busy" to lay still but Ray has some skills getting those pictures she needs!) and her sats were 81, which means they're coming up! As Dr. Chun put it, the Glenn is doing what it's supposed to!!! He was very pleased with how pink Maddie looked as well as how big she's getting, up to 13 lbs. 9 oz. and 25 inches in length. What was new "news" for me yesterday was she no longer has a murmur...I never realized this but after the Glenn and Fontan repairs, she shouldn't have a murmur. Her murmur after birth and after her B-T shunt was so loud from all of the turbulence of blood flow, it was hard telling what was going on in that little heart of hers! Maddie's Lasix med was dropped altogether, so one last med to give! So now she's down to Captopril 3x a day, Bactrim 1x a day, Prevacid 1x a day and Asprin 1x a day. Not too bad! We'll go back in a month for a follow-up.

After her cardiology appt. in Bellevue, my mom, Maddie, and I rushed over to the main campus in Seattle for her VCUG, an x-ray of her bladder and urethra. (Bryan was unable to go since he's getting ready for apple harvest to start.) This test was ordered to rule out whether Maddie has reflux of her kidneys or not since in all of her renal ultrasounds, bright spots have been detected in one of her kidneys. It wasn't a very pleasant test so we were using lots of "tactics" to get her to be calm. While she was lying on the x-ray table, I was standing over her and made a motor noise then my mom did as well. Maddie quit fussing, studied our faces then started making the "bbbbbbbrrrr" noise herself! It was the cutest thing...and she hasn't stopped since! She loves her new trick. So the test concluded that she does have reflux, "mild-moderate". They rate it from 1-5, 5 being severe and Maddie's is a 3. Only her right kidney showed the reflux, immediately after the dye filled her bladder. She's on the Bactrim for this (a prophylactic antibiotic) to help prevent any UTI or kidney infections...so far it's worked, she hasn't had any yet. I'm waiting to hear what the official report says but I'm sure she'll stay on that antibiotic until a further study shows whether it has "fixed" itself. Most of the time it goes away on its own and settles itself I've been told. We're hoping this is the case for Maddie.

The delivery to the ICU went great! It was so fun to drop off the basket of blankets. Maree came out to get them and was very appreciative...they'll be used to make the babies' beds then the mama's can have the blankets after. I'm so excited about it and know it will bring a little happiness to some hard times for families. While there, I got to see Dr. Baden as well. It's always fun to chat with him. Of course they're super excited about Maddie and her great recovery...our cute little rockstar!

Maddie with Ray (our favorite sonographer)after her Glenn in July.

She's off sternal percautions so it's time for the Bumbo chair & tummy time!

Hanging out with me in the kitchen this morning and having lots of fun in her pink, princess walker! Her feet just dangle but she does play with the little toys at least. Boy do her brothers love to "gently" push her around!

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

She is so darn cute. I love the walker picture, she is so happy and full of life. Katie she is doing awesome it sounds. I am so happy all is going well. She is going to be so much fun. Take care and keep up the great work.
Love ya,
Randee

The Mason Family said...

I love her smile! Best wishes...

Shannon Mason
www.carepages.com
cp:CarlieMichelle

Anonymous said...

Katie~ So glad Maddie's appts. went well, but we wouldn't expect anything else, her recoveries have been amazing!! She truly needs to be in magazines with that smile and those eyes:) Have a great holiday weekend!
P.S. I sent you another e-mail, let me know if it went to the same place. Love, Krista

Unknown said...

What a great report! We are so gald to hear that all went well and that she had gained some. I am so happy to hear the great news.

We love ya Maddie!

Aunt J and Cousin Kylie Rose

The Simmons Family said...

Yeah for Maddie doing so well! Isn't it so great to be done with the GLenn and just let them play and have fun for a LONG time!

Andrea

Miller Family said...

Katie-What fantastic news. My heart is full of joy after reading this post. Maddie has been so amazing this whole time. All the prayers and your watchful eye and intuitions have paid off. She looks remarkable and so happy. Keep up the great work and have an excellent weekend. Love, Michelle and fam

Becky Noftle said...

Great news Allred Clan!! Maddie is the picture of happiness, what a lucky family!

Anonymous said...

Katie It was so great to see you the other day, I see where Maddie gets her good looks, Thanks for all the updates and adorable pictures. What a blessing kids are. Your family is in our thoughts and prayers with much love your way all the Dorsings Scott Jac Tyler Carter Brooklyn

Craver's said...

Katie thanks for the update, sounds like things are going well for Maddie.
Maddie has the cutest smiles,it is so good to see her so happy.
Thanks again,
Gari lynn

Anonymous said...

Dear Allreds,
Have heard lots from Susie about little Maddie's progress but was amazed to visit the blog and see that little pink cheeked darling smiling at me!
So happy for all of you, you've been through so much!
We are praying for the same success for our little Teagan.
Blessings to all!
Congrats to Ryan too!
The Maxwells

likeschocolate said...

She is so darn cute. I am glad she is doing so well. I love the blankets and burpee. I want to do something like this here. I am sure they will brighten someones day.

Kristy said...

I have never posted, but I have been following your precious baby's story. I sent your blog to Baby Colby's mom right after she found out about Colby's special heart. We have been friends for years and I thought that your story was a blessing and would be to her. I write to tell you that my oldest daughter who is now 4 1/2 had reflux of both kidneys. She was a 1 & 2, pretty mild, but you are right the VCUG is terrible. She was diagnosed at 9 months of age. I am happy to report that by age 2 it was completely resolved on its own and she was taken off the Bactrim shortly after her second birthday. I remember the doctor giving us the wodnerful news that it was gone, what a happy day. It seems that Maddie is a fighter and this is definitely an pobstacle that she will overcome. I will be praying for your sweet baby and your entire family. Thank you for sharing your story.

tkleme said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
tkleme said...

I finally finished reading your cute blog about Princess Maddie! I'm so glad I will be able to follow how she's doing and seeing pictures of her, since I won't be seeing you guys in Bellevue anymore (so depressing). I guess you guys will have to come and visit me in Seattle or in Tri-cities. Hopefully I'll be able to catch you guys in Bellevue sooner or later. I will miss doing echoes on one of my favorites! Keep in touch!
Love and aloha!
Ray
P.S. Bryan...how are those apples doing?

Talia said...

Thank you so much for viewing Sophia's site and sharing your site with me. Us heart mommies will have a bond forever and it has been great meeting everyone! Your Maddie is super cute and I am so glad to hear things are going well.