Friday, March 13, 2009
A letter on your first birthday...
Dear Sweetest Baby Girl,
Today is your first birthday Madison Grace...a day that your daddy and I dreamed of, a huge milestone that we were unsure would ever come due to the fear that paralyzed us a year ago. We tried to prepare for the struggles you'd have to endure and we consoled ourselves with the fact that we had no choice; to have you, you'd have to undergo countless procedures in your life and this was out of our hands. Maddie, you have been a wonder from the start...to share some of these many "wonders" from your birth...you unexpectedly came a month early, I labored all day with you then your heart rate suddenly dropped due to the "life line" being compressed so the doctors had you out in minutes via crash c-section, your apgar scores were initially a 3, all of this was so sudden, a complete shock, and incredibly stressful since you weren't due until April 14th~but you fought through all of these obstacles! I pleaded with the doctors just before being put-under for the c-section that they'd save you and in the midst of the crisis, they did...YOU made it! Once you were stable, we got to see you for the first time for just a few minutes and immediately, I knew that everything we'd already gone through and would about to endure was going to be worth it. You were a beautiful, quiet and peaceful little soul and we instantly knew that you were extra-ordinary. That first week before your cath and open-heart surgery was truly amazing. It was so much work for you just to breathe and the erratic movements of your chest reminded us that your heart was indeed, broken. The side effects from the meds made you not want to be touched, you were easily startled and agitated, yet when we had the opportunity to hold you (a total of 3 times your first week of life) you were incredibly calm and quiet. It's as if you were telling us that it all would turn out fine and to not to worry. Maddie, you comforted us in the midst of your fight. Those days we spent in the hospital are memories I'll never forget, and ironically enough, I would never trade them for anything...these wonders made us grow and this growth happened because of you.
This past year, you have brought us more fulfillment, joy and gratitude to our lives. Through you, we have learned to rely more on God and have felt His presence more than ever before. In your 12 months, we have endured many seasons...you've brought us to our knees, to tears, more smiles to our faces, and filled our hearts with true happiness. We take so much for granted and you have taught us to count each and every blessing, the good and the bad, since every blessing in life isn't necessarily suger-coated. We've learned to love the simple, quiet times and simply "stepping back" has brought our little family so much closer. We've learned to love nothing to do, no where to go, and to just enjoy each other for "what is" since life can change so quickly.
Maddie Grace, your heart is special but we've learned of a soul that is even more special and that's you. God created you perfectly, with a custom-made heart, since He knew you would be able to endure what it brought with it. His faith in you is ever-lasting as is His love. I've argued with Him many times that there is no way that He can love you more than your daddy and I do, but He does sweet baby girl, hard to fathom but true. Your daddy and I have had to "re-hand" you over to Him and so far, He's given you back...we are ever so grateful and humbled. We are simply in awe of your fight, your resilience, your strength and your ability to overcome the odds. You may only have a half of a heart but what a powerful little engine it is! We're simply amazed by you! How we've been so lucky, we'll never know, but I have a feeling that it's YOU and not so much the luck in this equation. You have touched so many lives in your first year of life and anyone who meets you is instantly "roped in". God has a very special plan for you. Today is a day for us to celebrate...to thank our Father in Heaven for the gift of our first daughter and to dream of "what is" and what is to come. Maddie, you are an incredible little girl like no other! Happy 1st Birthday our beautiful, sweet baby...and thank you for choosing us! Our hearts are so full.
I Love You, Mama
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


10 comments:
Katie, your words are so sweet and so true. Maddie is indeed a precious gift from God! Her sweet smile and adorable dimples melt my heart everytime! I feel so blessed to have been a part of Maddie's first year, and many more to come! She is indeed a special little soul, and we love her and you guys so much!
Thank you for a wonderful evening tonight, the party was so fun! Seeing the girls play together and chase eachother crawling down the hall brought tears to my eyes. Happy Birthday Maddie Moo! We love you guys!
Dear Maddie,
This first birthday I will never forget. Watching you, a healthy, happy baby girl.......in awe of the surroundings, not sure what had just envaded your world. Being very stingy with that smile of yours. Very calculated in your every move...seeing your very first birthday cake......that one little finger, touching it so carefully..just like you approach life....cautious and careful... a true blessing that comes from what you have endured and experienced. A wisdom that comes from the Father himself... Yes, I will always remember that evening, and the smile on your Mama's face...a smile that came from, sleepless nights,....a love so devoted, a dedication that I've never seen.. Yes, Maddie you are a very extraordinary little girl and I'm so proud of you and what you have accomplished your first year of life.
Happy Birthday, my sweet Maddie..
And Great job Mama, you out did your self, again...I love you both so much.......
Nany and Mama
Any child would be lucky to read such wonderful words from their mama. Beautifully put Katie. I can only imagine how it felt to write it. Parents love for their children is undescribable, then you add in all that Maddie has endured, and it brings a different meaning to LOVE! Children definitely put God's love into perspective. I never understood the depths of God's love for us until I had my boys. Happy Birthday Sweet Maddie. Thank you for showing us God's love!
This may be the happiest I ever felt over a first birthday! Not that I didn't truly love the other one year olds in my life--but like you said Katie, we forget to be grateful for every moment, and you remind us Maddie, Happy Birthday!
What a beautiful letter Katie, Maddie will treasure it always. I too write a letter to the girls each year on their birthday, I think when they are older they will love being able to go back and read what has been written to them.
I hope yesterday was a fun day of celebration! Thanks again for sharing such a heartfelt letter...
WOW! I am in tears. The words were amazing and she looks like a fighter. Congrats Maddie and Happy 1st birthday.
BTW: I love the pic of her with all the presents around her and the one with the sunglasses, so darling.
Maddie,
I am sorry I missed your birthday! Jett and Jason had great time!We are so proud of how far you have come and how brave you have been sweet girl!I just can't wait to see you try on prom dresses!
Love,
Aunt Sybil
Happy Birthday to my most precious heart friend!!!! Love you Maddie!!
Love, Lindsay ;-)
Hello family! congrats on the big birthday bash! I am so proud of your strength. The letter you have written to Maddie is so great. Sums up a lot of feelings and emotions that us heart moms have! i am bawling as I am writing this because it hits home real hard! I can't wait for Karlee's milestone birthday as well. Again congrats and I hope to see you soon!
Love, Devon Jenkins
Hello Katie! I just had to write to you after reading your letter to Maddie. That was the most beautiful thing I've ever read. I am friends with Becca in Nashville. We have an 8 week old with HRHS. He had his Norwood operation on Feb 4th. I loved every word you wrote to your daughter but really loved what you said about "these wonders made us grow and this growth happened because of you." I can already agree with that statement. I feel like we have grown so much and have become different people because of Cain's situation. Better people I hope. :) Glad to see Maddie doing so well. I'm glad to have found Becca here in Nashville. She has been a huge help to me during this time.
Take care,
Catherine Clinkscales
www.clinkscalesfamily.blogspot.com
Post a Comment