I've referred to Maddie's 02 levels or sats many times on this blog. For those of you who don't have to worry about this number and it doesn't dictate to how your child is doing, you're probably unfamiliar with it. A normal, healthy individual has oxygen saturations of 98-100%, above 95% is considered normal. A pulse oximeter is used to measure the amount of oxygen in the blood. It's a painfree test, a little lighted band is wrapped around the end of a finger or toe, like a band-aid. It also measures the heart rate as well. Maddie's oxygen saturation levels are low: 74-76%. This is because her blood still mixes in her heart's anatomy. So she doesn't get "pure" oxygenated blood pumped out to her organs and body like most of us. She appears a little bluer, which is called Cyanosis, and her lips, fingernails & toenails usually have a purple tinge to them. She tires more easily and her stamina is low, especially the more her sats dip. After her third surgery, her O2 levels should improve (hopefully in the 90's) and she'll "pink" up. We look forward to that day!
Many babies born with CHD, even complex types of CHD, are undetected until they're in major distress or after it's too late. We were so fortunate to know about Maddie's heart prenatally. This is why the simple test by a pulse oximeter for all newborns could save so many lives and change the outcome of many. It's a quick and painless test, takes less that ten seconds and is inexpensive. The blood oxygenation level could tell a lot...if it's below 90%, a follow-up test would be needed like an EKG or Echocardiogram. Before taking our baby home from the hospital, many routine tests are done. Why not an oxygen saturation test using a pulse oximeter? It could change the outcome of so many. You can read more about pulse oximetry screening on newborns here.
7 comments:
I'm loving all your posts this week. Maddie looks great, and her legs look so long! Wait til we get the girls together, Maddie is going to tower over Teag- ha.. Hope you're feeling better!
This is so true Katie! I honestly cannot believe that they do not check sats on all newborns. It is such an easy and quick test! Once again, more needs to be done for CHD! Thank you for all of your posts this week...I have even learned some new things!
Maddie looks great. She is such a cutie. I agree with Susie above. Her legs do look long!
Seriously Katie...so easy, fast, pain free & (seeing as the hospitls obviously own pulseox's) cheap!!!
We definitely know the importance of a pulse ox in our house! My oldest son's sats were in the same range as your little angel's.
Thankfully, my youngest son's sats never dropped out of the 80's. Since his surgery a year ago, we see 96-98%. What a blessing!
Hopefully, you'll see those numbers after the next surgery, too!
Happy Heart Day!!
Lisa @
All That and a Box of Rocks
Hey Katie,
In many ways, I'm glad we knew prenatally, too! But you are right, testing could save so many lives and I have decided that I am going to become an advocate of this. I definitely plan on having baby #3's pulse/ox checked before we are discharged from the hospital, even if they find a healthy heart via ultrasound. I wish we had our own sat monitor, I'd just bring it with me to the hospital. We were never prescribed one. That's cool that yall still have yours!
Maddie is so beautiful! Happy Valentine's Day & CHD Awareness Day!
Bethany
So needed! Slowly some hospitals are coming around to performing pulse ox checks before discharge! Thank heavens!
Maddie looks so good... she totally looks like a "big" girl now and not so much like a "baby" girl! She's growing up so quickly!
Prayers continue!
Hugs,
Sundie
I am glad your Mama put together this blog for you Ms.Maddie. We love you Ms. Maddie!
Post a Comment