
A year ago today, I wrote these words...
"These past months have really flown by and I've caught myself dreaming more about what Maddie's future holds for her. I used to not let myself even go there, it was too difficult to think about the "what if's" and uncertainties of the surgeries and procedures she had to go through in order to get here. She's doing so well that it feels good to talk about our future and all that we have to look forward to! A huge weight has been lifted now that she's 2/3 of the way there with her heart repair and since the next surgery won't be for a while (we cross our fingers), we can get on with LIFE again. What a wonderful feeling!"
Yes, I can officially say we've gotten on with life! Time is flying by!!! Having 3 kids all under the age of 5 and all on the move now, has been a little crazy and so fun.
Maddie's heart is only "occasionally" thought about now (ok, still on a daily basis but not on a minute to minute basis like before). I'm not consumed by her broken heart and this is a BIG improvement. Instead of dwelling on what she'll "miss out" on in life like I used to, I've chosen to focus on all of the positives of her...and not just her heart. She's an amazing little thing and will have much to offer this world by being Maddie, not the girl with the 1/2 heart.
Yes, a year of dreaming about Maddie's future has been so healing. I've moved on from the heartbreak and anguish of having a baby with a complex heart to knowing and loving a beautiful, graceful little soul full of so much strength and a wisdom beyond her years. God knew what he was doing when he gave Maddie this heart.
This 17 month baby girl is a blessing and has a strength we can learn from each and every day. On a minute to minute basis.
August 13, 2009
12 comments:
This is just the post I needed to read today :) The further we get from Gracie's surgeries the more I am able to focus on the amazing little person she is and let her heart condition fade from the front of my mind. I was just getting ready to RSVP for the pool party. See you Sunday!
So well put....God knew what he was doing. He always has a plan in store for us; just becomes hard for us to see the big picture at times. I guess it's a lesson in patience that we must learn. Maddie is amazing and has a wonderful (beyond words) family that loves her. All of you mean a lot to us. Enjoy life....past, present and the future!
Clint, Kelsey, Wade & Blake
Katie~ Love this post!!! I am so gald now that Maddie has overcome so many of her hurdles and is growing into a beautiful little lady that you are able to focus on all of the positives in your daily life and not on her broken heart, what a wonderful place to finally be!!! Don't know if you read MckMama, but she just had a very similar post on four leaf clovers that you would love! I love the picture of Maddie in the wagon, you should so blow it up and have it on your wall, she is such a precious angel:) Love, Krista
What a nice post! Maddie looks so adorable in the wagon!
Great post Katie, and she looks just like a little angel in that last picture!
Beautifully worded Katie...
What an awesome picture of her in the wagon. She is so darn cute I just want to squeeze her... Sounds like you are doing well. I need to come see you..
I LOVE IT!! Maddie is growing up so big and turning into a beautiful little girl instead of a baby (snif, snif). I totally agree with you... even with Owen's tubes, transplant looming, and cardiology every three weeks... I can't help but look past his broken heart and at the amazing spirit he has! They grow up so fast and it's nice to sit back and enjoy the journey, the little moments.
I'm glad all is well and everyone is healthy! By the way.. loved the cowboy Cade post as well.
Andrea
I think it helps when your little helpless baby turns into this self-confident toddler. You see them trying new things everyday and you no longer think of what they might not be able to do. You start dreaming of how they are going to show the world what they can do through the advancing medical care they are getting and the awesome hand of God that has given them a second chance. I think that the uncertainty of the way a child will respond and grow in response to a CHD is exciting in a way...guess you just have to think of the positives.
She is so amazing and has touched so many in her little life! That is the cutest picture! She is so sweet! He knew what he was doing when He gave her that heart because He knew who her Momma would be! I had so much fun visiting with you today!
Amen and Praise the Lord are the first things that come to my mind!!! Thank you for sharing Katie.
Wow. Your writing is uplifting and encouraging. And you are so right, God does have an awesome plan... even when it is hard for us to see sometime. You have such a beautiful little girl! Love the pic of her in the wagon!
Post a Comment