I've been trying to keep really busy...doing odd-ball things like drawer organizing, making cute hospital gear for her (which my mom gladly took over because of my lack of concentration), changing the look of our blog, and planting more flowers than I'd intended to this spring. I've had a difficult time sleeping, due to worry and stress but also to the fact that Miss Maddie has had some rough nights to. She's been waking up crying & wanting mommy. I oblige every time because frankly, in a week, she'll be in a lot of pain and discomfort. If I can comfort her and love on her every night by crawling into bed with her or bringing her into our bed, I will. I've been looking at it as practice for the hospital and practice for my patience! So much for our theory of not letting our kiddos sleep with us! It's a habit I'm willing to break with her and we're getting really good at sharing a bed since I'm sure that's where I will be for the next couple of weeks...squished in a single patient bed with an understandably cranky 3 year old.
But how do you prepare? Of course, prayer fills much of my time. Throughout my day I find myself asking Him my many questions, pleas and asking for help through this. And my top concern and prayer, of course, is for Maddie. How is she going to do with all of this? Will she trust us again? Can we reason with her? Will she allow the doctors and nurses to help her without a fight? Will the Fontan work for Maddie? What if, what if, what if? And then I've realized that I am taking on too much here. This is out of my hands and my control, so again, I find myself asking Him to take my worry and my fears. I ask for the Lord's help and I continually ask for Him to take this. And so far, it's working. Today I got up feeling really refreshed and actually excited to get this over with. It's inevitable, we might as well just enjoy these days before hospital life and keep our lives as normal as possible. And thanks to our 3 children, I stay busy. This is what I will miss most while in the hospital. The mundane, ordinary things while at home with kids...cleaning up after them, attaching lego guys arms, laundry, helping them find toys, changing panties from accidents, making meals, and playing outside. Normal things are keeping me sane right now.
Maddie knows what's up with all of this, though we've tried to spare the details until just a day or two before the surgery. Unfortunately, she worries like me so I try to avoid telling her too early...why make her anxious any longer than she needs to be? She's always known her heart needs fixed again, she's seen several pictures of herself in the hospital during prior surgeries and procedures, and she's seen several of our "heart friends" pictures on the computer during their recent Fontans. She knows she has to go back to the hospital but doesn't know when. She just randomly brings up that she doesn't want any owies or pokes and she doesn't want to see the hospital or doctors. That's a tough one. I've just tried to explain that in order for her to feel better and not "tidered" anymore, run faster, and play like her cousins, she has to have her heart fixed and there will be a few owies but she'll also get to chose little toys from a treasure box we've made for being brave, and she'll get visits from everyone she loves while in the hospital. I've told her about the hospital's playroom and playground and she'll get to go on lots of wagon rides. This seems to suffice for now. This is the great thing about being 3.
I have a couple of books that we're reading this week as well as packet that Children's sent us with pictures of the hospital, familiar faces she may see, and it talks about having surgery. Child Life also sent us 3 packages filled with fabric dolls dressed in adorable hospital gowns, surgical masks, hair nets, gloves, syringes, bandages, tubing, gas masks, and medicine cups to play with. On Mother's Day, I broke all of that out and the big brothers had our basement rec room turned into quite the O.R and cardiac clinic. She enjoyed taking vitals on her baby dolls, putting on band aids, checking for fevers, putting them "asleep" with the gas masks, and listening to their hearts. It was therapeutic and really a wonderful afternoon. Having Jace and Cade play this with her made it much more fun. It's really been a normal part of her life as well as theirs, they were pros and I enjoyed sitting on the stairs listening to them. Though it's not typical that kid's this age know how to take blood pressure, stick on EKG stickers or tie a band on a dolly's arm for a blood draw, they've embraced this part of their lives. I'm so proud of them for this.
21 comments:
I love the new look of the blog. That picture of Maddie is beyond adorable. That is wonderful that they sent you all that stuff from the hospital- such a great idea!
I know from our recent Fontan experience, how scared and nervous you are right now. But this is it- the last step. The Fontan will be over and you will have NOTHING hanging over your head. It's a GREAT feeling and one week from tomorrow you will be on your road to recovery with a daughter who is officially Post Fontan! we will be keeping you all in our thoughts and prayers!!!
(((Hugs)))
Awwww they look so cute playing doctors. I am praying for you guys, keep the blog updated so we know the progress of her surgery to know how to pray appropriately.
We are keeping Maddie in our thoughts and prayers this week. It will be wonderful to have the Fontan behind you. Maddie will have so much energy for playing this summer and being a big sister this fall :) She is going to do terrific and I love all of your hospital prep ideas. I may have to steal you treasure box idea when it's our time for the Fontan. We are still unsure when Gracie's Fontan will be. She is almost 30lbs and will be 3 this summer so we are thinking Spring 2012. Our next cardiology appointment is June 13th at Children's. I would love to say that we will stop by and say hello, but I am thinking with Maddie's great track record that you will be long gone by then. Take care and enjoy all of those extra hugs and snuggles!
Oh Katie. My heart is with you guys. I can't begin to understand your pain and worries yet I do have the faith that Maddie will soar thru the Fontan procedure and recovery with flying colors. She comes from much strength and it will shien in times such as this. We'll be thinking of you next week (and always) and holding you up in our prayers. Our love.
Kelsey and family
You are amazing Katie! We will be praying and thinking of sweet Maddie next week.
Katie Remember God loves Maddie more then we can imagine. The what ifs are no fun but so hard to avoid. I read the other day worry replaced with prayer equals trust. I wish i cld give u a hug and take it all away. Maddie is a trooper and it will be good to hav this behind u. I will be praying and sendin u hugs. Love u.. Randee
Katie,I felt like I was reading my own thoughts from a few weeks ago when I read this post. So many worries with this surgery that I didn't have with previous surgeries...will Colby trust us again, will he understand why he is having to hurt? I want to reassure you that he did great with it all, and I know Maddie will as well!!! It's like God has prepared these kids for what lies ahead of them. That is the only way to explain how truly brave, strong, and resilient they are! We will definitely be praying for Maddie and for the whole family. Hang in there, and please call me if you need anything. I am always here to listen if you need me!!
I feel for you. The worst part about chemo when Jax was four was that as soon as we would get to a certain point in Yakima he would start crying, "please Mommy, don't make me go, please....". Broke my heart every time for 6 months. Maddie, her Mommy, her whole family, will be given all the courage and strength needed, and all of Royal will be praying for her health and comfort. Our family loves your Family, go get 'em!!
Katie....I know I already commented on this post but last night as I laid n Wade's twin bed w/him and rubbed his knee (growing pains = knee aches for him) I thought of you and Maddie and where you'll be next week, cozied up in the bed holding her after her Fontan....I cried and cried, wishing I could take this pain away from you...away from Maddie. Unfortunately I can't take it away, but I stand firm in beleiving that He will protect you (us) and take extra speical care of you guys next week. I shared a little bit of Maddie's story w/ Wade and he said..."Mom, I want your friend's girl to feel better fast"....And I do too. Enjoy some sunshine and take lots of deep breathes....it's going to be OK. Love you lots.
Kelsey
You're an amazing mother. The end.
Katie,
You are truly the most amazing woman I know. Stay true to your course and lean on Him when times are difficult. The unknowns are always hard. Miss Maddie is so wonderful. She inspires me to be a better person. She is much deserving of her "special day". Imagine the "delight" in the not so distance future. Hang in there, kiddo. I'm praying with you. Michelle Ward
Dear Maddie,
I know at 3 it's hard to understand all of this commotion. And when you read this someday, I want you to know just how much your sweet heart is loved by so many. Your a brave little girl. Mama and Daddy love you so very much, as we all do. In no time you will be home bossing your brothers around. Nany will have "Sparkey Boy" saddled up and ready to go on a long ride. Maddie, always know how very much Ba and Nany love you. Forever and ever.
Hugs and Kisses, Nany Stewart
Will be praying for your little girl, she is so precious. I have a little girl the same age and anytime she plays with her babies they always have an owie or have medical equipment hooked to them:) My little girl will have her 6th heart surgery in August so I feel your heavy heart of all the unknowns. Enjoy your weekend with Miss Maddie and your beautiful family.
caringforcallie.blogspot.com
Katie, I can't even fathom your anxiety! One surgery is cause enough for worry, but now she's on to her third. I can't believe it. You all have really been in it for the long haul.
I hope and pray that Maddie's time in the hospital is smooth and uneventful, goes off without a hitch. I know you are all in good hands there and that you have so much love and support going into this and that will carry you through this.
I'd love to come and see you while you're there whenever it is a good time for you (if there's not a good time, that's OK too, of course!).
Much love to you all.
Kirsten, James, (and Ewan, of course)
Katie,
Like I've said before you are an Amazing Woman. I will be saying extra prayers for you and your family. I am sure He will be watching over all of you. You have a beautiful family sweetie.
Sheri Wyle
Katie~ Ditto to all the other comments! You are amazing :) I truly can't imagine how consumed you must be thinking of what is ahead for your sweet girl. But I am so confident that the Lord will give you complete peace and he will wrap his arms around you and Bryan and the family and Maddie will come through as well as she has two times previously. God is SOOO Good!!! So many prayers being lifted up and Heaven will be bombarded with prayers on Tuesday. Love and Blessings,
Krista
p.s. Love the new look of the blog :)
Oh my goodness! We are like twins right now. Every drawer, cabinet, closet, etc. is organized right now. I swear I feel like I'm nesting like I did when I was pregnant. I keep doing everything I can to stay busy. And I certainly have pre-surgery brain. I backed into a car this week. :( I can't believe Maddie & Cain's surgery are only a day apart. I agree with you...I wish we were at the same hospital. Sending you big hugs. Catherine
I love that you were sent this medical stuff! I will be praying for sweet Maddie. When I say that, I mean it! I'll be waiting for updates too.
My heart aches for you all - Things like this are never easy - not for the patient, the caregivers or the siblings.
Our prayers are with you! It is obvious that you are allowing the Lord to be your strength - in cases like this, that is what sustains us.
Thanks for the updates, we'll be looking forward to them in the upcoming days and weeks.
We send our love! Adieu
Maddie is so beautiful! Katie when she was fixing your hair the other night and rubbing your face it was soo touching, so sweet! She feels so safe and comfortable in your arms. You are a wonderful mom. We are lifing Maddie up in our prayers. Your family is so wonderful and your three kiddos are so cute and entertaining!
If you need anything, please let me know. I do want to help.
Katie, seeing you guys off today filled my heart with joy and sadness. I have teared up often today and can't even imagine what you are feeling! Maddie is so lucky to have you for her mommy! The Lord knew you could handle all of this and that you would trust in Him to take away your worries! Hugs to you all!
Post a Comment