Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Update: Day 2



Wow, a lot has transpired over the past 24 hours. A day ago, Maddie was coming out of the OR and we were getting ready to see her. Today...get ready...she's been moved to the floor. Yes, I know. We're shocked too. Happy but we were not ready for this. But today has not been an easy day by any means. She's miserable--she has cried, fussed, coughed, wrenched in pain and begged for help. It's sad to watch and been a real balancing act on her pain meds. But she reached the criteria for moving out of the CICU by noon today and they needed the bedspace. The transfer process took about 2 hours.

So I'll back up, yesterday evening went pretty smooth. My mom stayed with her while Bryan and I went to dinner and she actually smiled once when we were gone. The smile came when my mom and our great nurse, Sherry told her that her heart was fixed. Bryan pulled the night shift last night from midnight-6am. I had a great nights sleep, which now I admit, I needed. He hung out with us a bit this morning, then went back to sleep at the RMH around 10. During the night, she did fine. Slept off and on like she had all day (hour asleep then slight wake-up and doze back off.) He said she did get pretty worked up when they came to do her chest x-ray though. The nurse we had, Jess, taught her a deep breathing technique since her sats really dip when she's upset (into the 60's) and she has been using her "closed mouth, into the nose breathing" technique since. She's a smart little thing and responding well to our requests. She's hated her nasal cannula but still needs it. She's on 3 liters of O2 and satting mid 80's on this. Right now, she's finally sleeping and her sats are actually 91 right now! Have never seen this and brings me to tears, even though she's on high flow oxygen.




Late morning she had her IJ line removed from her neck, her ART line in her left hand (yay, she can suck her thumb now), pacer wires removed, and her foley catheter (for urine) removed. The first three of the "de-lining" procedures took suture removal and luckily she was loopy enough but it still was very uncomfortable and her anxiety level was definitely increased. Lots of tears, holding of breath, monitors beeping and she was just pissed off. It's hard for her to understand "why" these things have to be done. Luckily, we had our favorite CICU nurse, Anne, who took care of Maddie her first week of life here at Children's. It's so nice having this continuity of care. We love Anne. But she's had a few tough moments besides this- chocked on her milk/pediasure this morning and now she's leary of drinking again. She did eat a whole popsicle, a couple of bites of pudding and 4 bites of mac & cheese for lunch. We haven't gotten her up yet but they'd like her to do that soon, so maybe tonight we'll get to hold her. She did rip off her nasal cannula (which she's hating) and it caused a pretty icky bloody nose and lots of coughing. RT added a bit of humidifying O's to her as well. After my idea of changing it to a smaller cannula, she's been more content with it and without that oxygen, her sats stink. We're hoping with healing, they will keep coming up and we can start the wean off the oxygen. She's draining a moderate amount from her 3 chest tubes, 483 cc as of 6am this morning. Currently she's sleeping peacefully and even sucks her thumb now and then. It's good that she's resting and I think I'll do the same. Thanks for the prayers, they're WORKING and please keep them coming. God is so GREAT!!!

24 comments:

Louise said...

Oh Katie, I am so happy Maddie is doing so well- but it is next to impossible to make her understand why this is happening to her. I still remember those difficult days following Holly's heart repair at 4 yrs old. She was one ticked off, sad little girl. She chewed out the nurses on a regular basis! You have such a sweet, tough little girl and I pray she continues to have a rapid recovery. You will be home watching her run and play before you know it!

Becky Noftle said...

Keep up the fast recovery Maddie girl.

Unknown said...

extubated right away, dressings off, wires/tubes coming out, moving out of ICU... Maddie is a champ! I'll be praying for comfort from all her aches and pains and endurance for you and the husband!

The Hands said...

Exciting and scary for you to be on the floor, I bet. Thinking of you always...and praying.

Allison said...

Incredible. Seriously incredible. Way to go Maddie! I envy her great communications skills. That would have made a world of difference for us! I hope that the floor treats you well and that she gets to continue make these huge leaps of progress!!

carlyallred said...

yay! it's amazing how resilient kids are. maybe you can bring out the magic bag of toys and fun surprises soon to help distract her. until then its so nice she can at least be peaceful while sleeping.

The Simmons Family said...

Amazing!! What a brave girl! We'll br keeping her in our prayers!!

Miller Family said...

Such great news! Glad to hear she is such a fighter and tough little cookie. It's helping her in her recovery so she can get back to playing with her big brothers. Colin was so happy to see Jace today and to hear Maddie is doing well!!!

The Hitchcock Family said...

Sounds like she is doing great! The sats will definitely start coming up with healing. We saw the same thing with Colby. Jason even joked that we should get our money back on our surgery, because his sats were worse the first 2 days post op than they were before his surgery. Leave it to Jason to make a joke and help us all smile when we needed it most!

Hopefully she will be comfortable on the floor and a get a good night's rest tonight. Hang in there!!! She is well on her way to a full recovery!!!! She is such a champion!!

Melanie and Justin said...

So glad to hear she's doing so great! She's one tough little girl! Thanks for the updates. We are praying for you all.

michele said...

oh, this makes me cry. She can't understand all of this and I know you hurt for her so much when her pain is great. She is a fighter though and I am so thankful she is doing so well. I am praying Katie.

Cynthia Cera said...

Oh Katie it's so good to hear Miss Maddie is doing great!! She's a fighter!! Take care and prayers still going strong for you All

Baby Hung said...

Your photo hugging her is making me cry even more! I'm glad she is recovering and will be praying big for her to feel comfortable. Praying for you as well to lean on Him.

Deb said...

Katie and Bryan: goodness, this really pulls at the 'heartstrings'. The prayers will continue from everyone and yes, God is great!! Thank you for keeping us informed. Please take care of yourselves also and get those naps when you can. Maddie is going to have you running in no time at all!! Hugs!

Anonymous said...

Katie,
So glad to hear how good she is doing. I want her pain to go away, poor thing. You and Bryan's strength is so awesome. Keep up the good work and may God continue his great work. Prayers Prayers
Love ya,
Randee

Anonymous said...

You're all in our thoughts and prayers each day. We're so thankful the updates and good news. Hang in there!
Melissa 'Reeves'

Courtney said...

Oh Katie! I am so happy you are already on the floor! She is so amazing! That picture of you Girls hugging just breaks my heart! She is so sweet! I'm glad you got some rest! Hang in there!

Mimi said...

The floor? WOW!! That is crazy! and so excited! One step closer, but a lot of steps farther away from the cafeteria ;-)

I am so happy for you! She is a miracle girl!

KELLY said...

Way to go Maddie! Still storming Heaven with prayers.

Anonymous said...

Oh man, what wonderful awesome news!! Pictures of your send off brought tears to my eyes!! The power of prayer and love does miracles, and I know you feel how much you and your family are loved. Your blogs are so good, feel as if I am right there with you. Keep the faith, God is Great!!
Sheri

Anonymous said...

Your updates bring tears and many emotions as I wish I could take all the "owies" away. But, in time they will go away and Miss Maddie will feel great....in no time at all. I pray today is a good day for all of you! She's an amazing lil girl and He is holding her tight. Love you guys.
Kelsey and family

tarat said...

Glad things are going so well. You are all still in our prayers.

Anonymous said...

Katie~Can't believe you are on the floor already!!! Wow!!! The pictures are heartbreaking yet she still looks so so sweet :) Still praying hard for a quick recovery and that she will start feeling better and want to eat and get up and show you that sweet Maddie smile:) Love, Krista

Lisa Johnson said...

Praying for your precious girl. She looks awesome. So happy for you that you have gotten through the worst part! Hugs!