Sunday, May 29, 2011

Update: Day 6

Today was a busy day of visitors. We enjoyed seeing everyone and Maddie's one spoiled little girl with all of the cute presents she's been given. Thank you everyone! First Aunt Kerry and girls stopped back by just to check on us and touch base before they headed back home. As they were leaving, the Maxwell family came. Maddie loved seeing her best heart buddy Teagie and watching the new Tinkerbell movie with her for a bit. Right as the Maxwell's were gathering up their kiddos, Grandma Allred, Aunt Danyel, Randi and Jill arrived! By this time, Miss Maddie was pretty shot. She cuddled right up into Grandma's lap and took a nice snooze. Danyel took some cute pictures of Jilly and Maddie but I can't get them off of my phone to post. Now Aunt Lesa and Grandma Allred are staying here to pinch-hit hospital life and get bossed around by me. My mom had went home yesterday. I don't know how people do this without the support of family. We never even have to ask...it seems everyone's willing and ready to help out where needed.We're so blessed with family.
So then the boys left with Daddy. This was a very sad time for me. I already really miss them and looking at this picture just makes me cry. Later this evening, Maddie asked where Daddy was and that she wants him here. I do too- we make a hell of a team but he needed to get back to work on the farm and get things squared away before coming back over again.
Tuckered out after all of her company and from cruising around the floor with her stroller and baby doll Molly. She and I spent some time roaming the halls this afternoon.
We dealt with some pain issues as well as this on-going constipation. She's yet to do the deed so our nurse gave her a suppository to help this out. Still nothing. Right before bed, she was clammy and very uncomfortable. She's not eating or drinking as well either, I don't blame her. This is no fun.


We did make some progress today--she got her left chest tube removed! Yay! It was always the one with the least amount of drainage so it's gone now, 2 more to go. Painful procedure though for her... the draining in the other two has really decreased so we pray they are getting to close to being pulled too. Her middle chest tube is all clogged with thick fibrous tissue (yucky looking) and has stopped draining. Hopefully it isn't causing a back up in there...she's no showing any other signs of this so I'm praying this one gets pulled tomorrow. The chest x-ray in the morning will be the tell all on the chest tube drama.



Maddie's least favorite thing to do now is take her meds. Throughout the day, she has pain meds every 5 hours now (2 syringes) and morning and afternoon she takes 2 diuretics, so this equates to 12 syringes of meds a day. She was a lucky girl before surgery because she was only on a baby asprin a day for medications...so she's not keen on the meds. We're trying lots of tricks, even pink bubblegum ice cream to wash it down with tonights meds. She needs something to control...unfortunately, she really needs to take the meds too. Wished she'd think of something else to fight us on, five hours rolls around way too frequently around here.
The little boys spruced up her hospital room today- hanging up posters and coloring/drawing pictures for her. This is our space. We lost our neighbor too, so I'm ready for bed in a quiet room tonight!
The goals before coming home are this: she needs to eat & drink more, needs to go #2, needs to have minimal to no chest tube drainage before pulling the other 2 chest tubes, needs to keep her sats up on room air. It's do-able.

11 comments:

Unknown said...

she looks SO SO SO good! I'll be praying that the drainage stops and for all the other concerns! she really does amaze me more and more with each update.

The Hands said...

So enjoyed talking with you today. Hope you get a good nights sleep tonight. Gotta keep baby #4 healthy. :-) I love the picture of Maddie with her brothers. Looks like the spunk and teasing is back.

Kristen said...

Katie-I've always felt drawn to your story as my little girl was also born with PA/IVS. I can only hope that she handles future surgeries with as much courage and strength as little Maddie has! SUCH A TROOPER!
-Kristen Ritchie

Louise said...

It almost feels like your entering the "home stretch" part of this (barring any surprise complications!). Maybe just a few more days?? We'll be hoping and praying!! Love to all of you and your awesome extended family.

Becky Noftle said...

Each day brings you closer to being home again as a family. We will continue to pray for you all.

Krista said...

Thank you for taking time to update each day!!! I find myself thinking and praying for Maddie all through the day so I can't wait to see how she is doing. Sounds like she is making good progress!!! I love all the pictures, she is such an angel:) Will be praying that those remaining chest tubes get removed real soon and she can reach the other goals as well ;) Love and Prayers

Allison said...

Hang in there! I know all too well the awful time when you feel like you are constantly trying to stuff meds down her throat every hour on the hour. I was amazed when we got home with Grant at how quickly he was willing to take his meds again. I am glad that she is up and moving and hooray for getting one chest tube out today! I hope the others follow quickly!

Hugs!

Alli (and Grant)

Anonymous said...

Each day it sounds as if Maddie is gaining strength and spunk! We so hoped to get over to visit but it sounds as though you've had much company. I have to go to Spokane this Wed. and again next week for several days so I'm not sure we're going to make it to Seattle. I'm so sorry .... and yet, too much company is not good either. Family is the most important for visitors. I deliberately have not called your mom as I know she must be exhausted and is likely receiving many phone calls. But know that you ALL are always in our prayers daily ... almost hourly. We so appreciate these daily updates. We send our love.
barbara and Mike

michele said...

I am very thankful for all of your visitors and support. Maddie looks great. Oh those meds! That is no fun for her! Thank you for these updates Katie. I think of and pray for you guys often. Love to you.

KELLY said...

Go, Maddie Go! She is looking so WONDERFUL! Each passing day is one day closer to being HOME as a family of 5...soon to be 6!

Thanks for all of your daily updates. We pray for Maddie continuously.

Hope you are getting a little rest.

Hugs to you all.

Janet said...

It is always good to get a good report. From home it is exciting to see how Maddie is progressing each day. I know it is harder there. Your family are all my Hero's you are amazing. Such an example. We pray for Maddie and all of you. Hope she will be home soon. We miss you.
Aunt Janet