Her spirits are up today due to the fact that her pain is being managed better as well as she's been eating and drinking some. She's taking Miralax (hopefully she'll be able to poop soon) and Redenidene (for tummy troubles). She's down to 2 liters of oxygen and is satting 85. She had labs this morning and did not enjoy that poke but they are so good here. Children's staff is helpful and awesome. The major achievement today has been getting her moving and not just confined to bed- at 6 am we had to take her down for a chest x-ray and since she has 3 chest tubes, oxygen and a medicine tree, it took 4 of us to wheel her down there in a wagon. Her x-ray showed a pleural effusion in her right pleural space but the team felt it's small enough that the Lasix she's on should take care of it or her body will just absorb it. The movement from all of this action also caused her to dump 120 mls just from that right chest tube. This is a ton! We've learned that her drainage is moderate, some kids put out a lot more and some are less at this point in recovery. We'll take the average chest drainage output. She still has all 3 chest tubes in but lost her morphine drip thru iv late this afternoon. This is great since she's been showing some side-effects from the morphine- ITCHING. Luckily daddy took on the duty of itching her, she looks like a little pup, stretching out, moving her arms with eyes rolled back. He's even sang his own rendition to her while he does this itch therapy--"itchy itchy spider." She took some Benadryl for this, hopefully it will help.
Even though Maddie has done amazingly well just 48 hours post-op, this has not been easy at all. It sounds all great moving out of the CICU but was difficult for her. Until later today, she has been so miserable, sad, depressed and irritable. Nothing made her happy and she was so uncomfortable. Luckily, with this combination of pain meds, she's perking back up. I've taken the brunt of her frustrations. As most of you know, Maddie is a mommy's girl. She and I are very close so I guess it's natural she'd take it out on me. I'll take it if it helps her get better. She's yelled at me a few times to leave her alone, she's told me I'm hurting her and to stop it, and today she shared with Nany while I went to take a nap that "my mommy is so mean to me". Yes, I've been teary over this. It's hard not to have my happy, chatty Maddie. I've hated seeing her this sad and in this much discomfort. I've gotten plenty of scowls and glares. She does let me cuddle with her, kiss her and hold her hand though. Just so happens that I am the one to explain to her what the nurse is asking, gives the directions/medicine or helps hold her for it.
At rounds today, the team explained that in order for these kids to have a smooth post-Fontan recovery, they need to be pushed. They told us she needed to get out of bed today and sit in a chair, sit up in her bed as much as possible to help move the fluid around and out. This also helps them with expanding their lungs and breathing more deep, which in turn helps with the new Fontan circulation. We've listened to their orders and Maddie's been moving, sitting up and responding to these demands quite well. I'm so happy for this. She tries to move herself for comfort, has sat up on her own in bed without any support to grab things and even scoots herself back up when she starts sliding down the bed. We're so proud of her. This should help in her recovery. We also asked if she's unordinary for a 1 day CICU stay post-op and no, this is not uncommon. This is how Seattle Children's prefers to do their fontan and is the goal: get them extubated before leaving the OR and onto the floor as soon as they don't need that life/death care that only the CICU can provide. Once they lose certain meds and lines in the CICU, they push them out. That is what happened to Maddie...she's always been quick at these things, it shouldn't have surprised me. She is such a trooper and tough little girl.
We have been able to chat with the boys each day and Carly helped set us up on google video so we could talk/see them live on the computer. The boys talked to Maddie this morning but she wasn't feeling so hot at the time and just sat staring at the computer, tears welled up with a very sad expression. She asks about the boys and is definitely missing them. Of course they're having a blast staying with the Busters and Pa & Grandma Allred. Jace had his first baseball game of the season tonight and Aunt Lesa videoed him and sent it through our cell phones to watch his hit. That was so nice for us. Cade got to spend some time with cousin Randi at Grandma's today which was what he's needed. With Maddie being on "house arrest" this past month, poor Caden was too. Preschool was over and we minimized his contact with kids since I was paranoid of her getting sick before surgery. Jace's teacher sent us a wonderful email last night about how they'd been sharing character traits in his 1st grade class and Jace shared that Maddie is his hero, her best trait is her "sweetness". He shared with his classmates about his baby sister and was so cute about it. He even shared that Maddie doesn't even have to use the toilet in the hospital....her pee just goes in a tube. He was pretty impressed with that foley catheter I guess. So funny. We're looking forward to seeing them tomorrow. I know that it will be great for her!
eating supper tonight- her favorite, noodles!
18 comments:
We're so happy to see how well things are going for Maddie! We love you all so much!
Been waiting all day for this report. So sad that Miss Maddie has been uncomfortable. I love Toradol. It works miracles. As I read this, I could only imagine what Natalie would be like. As sweet as Maddie is, I expect Natalie will be a bear during this phase...she can be already! Many prayers and love to you. So glad your mom and Bryan are there to help you out.
Go Maddie, go! Maybe you'll get to ride in a wagon or one of those special chairs tomorrow.
Thanks for the update! Maddie is doing so great! Will be praying for the ultrasound tommorrow and can't wait to see you guys soon! We love you guys! :)
That is one of the first things Colin told me about what Jace had to say about Maddie, that she pees through a tube. (So I had to explain why to Colin). Emerson and I checked the blog all day long and she was happy Maddie is doing so well, but sad she had to have tubes on her body (Emma's words). I am praying for continued strength for you as well as recovery for Maddie. Your mom is doing for you what you are doing for Maddie. You have had a great role-model and you make a great team!!
Yay Maddie!! It sounds like she is doing incredibly well! I'm glad that she is already eating and up moving around. That is a HUGE step!!! I will pray that the Lasix does take care of that pleural effusion. Colby also went through that...from what I understand, it is kind of common for post-Fontan kids. She looks great! Have you had time to notice yet that she is pink?? That was one of the first things I noticed with Colby, and I cried!! I don't take having a pink child for granted!!! They've gone through A LOT to get that pretty pink coloring!
Hang in there Katie, you guys are doing everything right! Maddie's emotions are so natural, heart wrenching but natural. So glad you have Bryan and your awesome Mom there with you. We are looking forward to more great reports! Praying for a great day for all of you.
She is doing so great!! I am amazed at how quickly she is recovering! Way to go Maddie! We continue to pray.
I had been doing pretty well until this post and now I'm a teary mess!!! I so wish you all weren't having to endure this, especially Maddie! Glad that with each day she is doing better. She is blessed to have you all to care for her and help her through recovery :) I love the picture of all 3 of you with Maddie giving a smile:) Prayers still coming your way and prayers for your echo today! Thanks for the updates! Krista
Amazing, simply amazing.....you guys are! All of you. Your strength and courage, your support and love & carring for Maddie. Sounds like recovery is going well and we're so happy to hear it.
Give your mom a hug for us too...she's an amazing lady! Love you all. Our prayers are with you.
Kelsey and Family
I could scarcely breathe while reading this latest update. I am so grateful that you and Bryan and your families have the broad shoulders of Jesus on which to rest your weary bodies and souls. Maddie's progress seems remarkable (hugs to you Maddie); Bryan your "itchy, itchy spider" brought me to tears; Katie, as hard as it is to be the one to push her, it is what mom's do and you are doing it with love and necessity. Maddie will know that. And my sweet friend Susie ... doing what nannies do to hold it all together. We send our deep admiration, our love and our continued fervent prayers. barbara
So glad to hear that Maddie is more comfortable and that she is moving around so independently already. WTG, Maddie! Our family continues to pray for you and your family. Katie, I am so impressed with your intricate medical descriptions and terminology! You are amazing with what you know about everything. I had a pretty good grasp with Maia, but I wouldn't have been able to give all the info you just gave. Hope all goes well with your exam! Sounds like good things are in the works! :)
i'm so glad maddie is doing so well! she is so lucky to have YOU! we'll keep you all in our prayers!
Love the last picture, she is looking better as the days go on. I'm sure it is so hard to see her uncomfortable. All of the sudden I am hearing more stories from my Mom about Holly's open heart surgery when she was four. I thought I'd heard all the stories, but Maddie's surgery is bringing out new ones all the time! We love you guys, let us do something for you and yours if we can.
It looks like she's doing great! It may be almost a month before you see "your girl" back. It took quite a while for my Maggie to be her self again. It's really hard to see them so unhappy, but she'll be back. I promise! I'm praying that your echo goes well too!
Katie- I know it seems as if she is hating life at times right now, but it won't last long. Thankfully I have very few memories from my surgery when I was 4, and I truly believe it made me a strong person! There are only a few things I remember, I'll have to tell you sometime. (they are good memories) She will forget all this soon enough and will be her happy, chatty self again. You are amazing! Hang in there!! :0)
Katie-so glad for the update and how well Maddie is doing!You are in our thoughts constantly! The pink bracelets were a wonderful idea! You keep rested yourself! So glad you have Bryan and your mom-wonderful partner and best friends!!!!Take care. Lots of love and prayers, Sheila and family
What a beautiful little girl sitting up in her bed! She is so brave! Prayers for patience and healing as she continues to recover, and strength for you guys as she is needing you so much!
What a trooper she is! Still praying for you and thank you for sharing this difficult time so we can pray specifically for certain things. You are a great mom and I tear up thinking about what you must go through.
Post a Comment