Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Glenn Post-Op Day 1

As Bryan and I arrived this morning, we were told they were wanting to get her down to the floor today! AHHH! I was thinking, she just had surgery, what?!?!? But we know that Maddie likes to get things done, early! So the de-lining process began after we arrived. She had her chest tubes, pacer wires, 3 IV's, and catheter all removed before lunch time. She's off the morphine now as well, only some Tylenol with codeine for pain. She's made tons of progress and quickly too, although Maddie has been MISERABLE with pain. She is one cranky little thing, fussing off and on and her cry is one I've never heard. I don't blame her a bit, I'd be pretty mad too!!! Bryan and I have both gotten to hold her lots today (which we needed) and she seemed to enjoy that. She had another go-round of getting poked, again, for a new IV. The only one they left in was not working anymore, leaky and a swollen leg because of it. Ugh! She's a bit swollen in her face/head but not as I expected. We had a hungry girl as well- she took 90mls with no problem and then another 90 a few hours later! I'm so HAPPY she's wanting to eat. This was one of my worries since before surgery she was pretty uninterested and the NG was her source for feeding since coming to Children's. I'm hoping she can get back to eating well again before heading home. She had a follow-up renal ultrasound a week ago and we went over the results with a Nephrologist this afternoon. Maddie has 1 kidney that is not growing equally to the other one. It is something they are going to watch and she'll have a study done in a few weeks on that matter. The doctor assured us that it's nothing urgent, just something to keep their eye on. It may be reflux of her kidney or another issue. So we'll follow-up with that. She's also had some Lasix today to help her pee more. She's still in the CICU but if she continues to cruise and a bed becomes available down there, I think she'll be leaving soon. That's the run down on Maddie...here's a picture of our sad, grumpy girl. Poor thing.

14 comments:

The Hands said...

Isn't it amazing how fast things happen? You'll be home before you know it! Natalie was grumpy from the headaches too. Just keep her pumped full of Tylenol with codeine for awhile and that will help. Glad you got some "parental therapy" today holding her. Empy arms are not fun!
Angie

The Simmons Family said...

Maddie looks AMAZING post Glenn. Not nearly as puffy as most of them... what an angel baby. Looks like your going to be home in no time!

Andrea

Anonymous said...

Katie,

I'm amazed, as usual.......my sweet Maddie. I'm also continuely amazed at "Heart Mama's" of course the comments above me are from these special women. All of you are so remarkable, and I'm quite sure that someone "Above" agrees with me........God Bless all of you, dear mother's...from a Grandma that just has trouble sleeping some of the time........because of age. Love, Nany

Miller Family said...

Katie, Such great news to wake up to this morning. Maddie is sure recovering well and still looks so precious, despite some swelling. Hopefully that Tylenol will keep up with the pain so she can sleep comfortably and keep eating for you. Thinking of you today as always! Smiles and hugs sent your way. Love, the Miller's

Brenda said...

WOW! What an overachiever! What awesome news! And can I say, I could just eat those cheeks up? She's so adorable! Keep up the great work Maddie Girl!

KELLY said...

WAY TO GO MADDIE!!! You are such a tropper little one! She looks great! It's hard to believe she just underwent such a major surgery.

Keep up the fantastic work!

Anonymous said...

Katie, she is so precious and what a champ and a fighter. This little girl is going to be one tough little cookie. I am so glad all is going well. Randee

Anonymous said...

Katie~ I have to agree with everyone else, Maddie looks so great! You really wouldn't know she just had a major surgery! You just want to kiss those chunky cheeks:) Thanks for being so on top of the blog, I couldn't stop checking it last night to see how she was doing. Lots of prayers still coming your way:) Love, Krista

Marnie Bergeson said...

We are amazed at the strength of your family - especially Maddie! Thanks for the updates.

Anonymous said...

So happy to see the new pics and remarkable progress that Maddie has made! Wow! Precious girl!
You are so strong and positive and I admire all of you "heart Moms"
Constant prayers coming your way!
nana Maxwell

Becky Noftle said...

She looks sweet and I wish I could take that pain from her. It is hard to watch the little ones endure what they must in this life. Hopefully each hour will see her improve and grow more pain free.

Anonymous said...

She looks great! Way to go Miss Maddie! We love you so and can't wait for discharge day so you can come home so we can finally play!!

Louise said...

Hoping and praying Maddie will continue her fast track to recovery and this procedure will give her little body the boost it needs to grow. We are so lucky to live in this day and age of modern medicine. It truly is a miracle(with alot of help from above)! Hang in there Katie and Bryan, you're doing a fantastic job.

The B Family said...

Sleeping BEAUTY!!!

Praying daily for Maddie and you, too!

Heart hugs~ Rebecca