The best part of today was getting her 2 remaining chest tubes out. They haven't drained for a couple of days now so they were pulled. We have also made the wean from the oxygen, she's satting in the low-mid 80's on room air. We're hoping that once she's healed up, her collaterals quit forming and "die off" with her new blood flow, she'll sat closer to 90%. We may not see this though for a few months. Since she has a fenestrated Fontan, she still has some mixing of blue/red blood as it creates a "pop off" for her heart, relieving pressure and allowing her heart not to work as hard when it's stressed (like if she's sick, with exercise, crying hard, etc.) There is an alternate route blood flow can take to the lungs but this blood isn't oxygenated so it mixes with the oxygen rich blood from the lungs.
So she has no wires, cords or tubes hanging from her anymore! If she felt better, I think she'd care. We were much happier than she was about it all. The plan is to get her eating and drinking again but we don't think this will happen until she goes. I looked at her stomach x-ray and it's built up way up into her belly, just under her diaphragm. She's only on Tylenol now (Oxycodone will just make the constipation worse) so the pain from this has to be unbearable. Plus she only had open heart surgery 1 week ago. Cruel.
She had two chest x-rays today and we haven't heard anything so must be ok. Now just waiting for tomorrow, the talk is discharge in the next day or two depending on her bathroom issue and pain control, as well as how all of her tests/exams go. She's so done with this...when asked if she's in pain, she always says no, just so they don't bug her. The chest tube removal was a bit dramatic, even with getting some IV Versed. She was so silly right before the procedure so we had a few minutes of our happy girl. Thank goodness we have our same day/night nurses, the consistency of care has really helped in her recovery and keeping our sanity. I have so much respect for these nurses...12 hours shifts and complete care for the children and their families. They never sit down or get a break. What a wonderful, demanding profession and we've been so lucky to have the most talented ones here.
She had two chest x-rays today and we haven't heard anything so must be ok. Now just waiting for tomorrow, the talk is discharge in the next day or two depending on her bathroom issue and pain control, as well as how all of her tests/exams go. She's so done with this...when asked if she's in pain, she always says no, just so they don't bug her. The chest tube removal was a bit dramatic, even with getting some IV Versed. She was so silly right before the procedure so we had a few minutes of our happy girl. Thank goodness we have our same day/night nurses, the consistency of care has really helped in her recovery and keeping our sanity. I have so much respect for these nurses...12 hours shifts and complete care for the children and their families. They never sit down or get a break. What a wonderful, demanding profession and we've been so lucky to have the most talented ones here.
I don't know how people do hospital life for months at at time. Our neighbor has been here 9 months with their heart baby. Even with difficult times, we are so fortunate to have had a fairly smooth recovery with all of Maddie's surgeries. Please keep our girl in your prayers, this isn't getting any easier for her and she just needs some relief and comfort from it all. HOME is the only remedy for this.
Aunt Lesa & Grandma Allred went back home today...and daddy drove back over late last night
this is how she's been all day
Jessica, our sweet, caring night nurse
12 comments:
I can't believe with all of that she still hasn't been able to go!Poor thing!We will keep praying for something so you guys can come home and all be together! You and Bryan are amazing, I can't stop thinking about you guys! Can't wait to see Miss Maddie!
When she does go hopefully thr is instant relief poor thing. Lotsa hot baths or somethin. I feel so bad for her she has had enough. I will be prayin for her. Home is gona look so good to her and to you i am sure. May God help her to get thr soon!! Lov ya Randee
Can't sleep tonight and just got up and read this update. I was so hoping that the laxatives had worked by now. She needs relief from the obvious and you and Brian need the relief from having to watch her suffer. You're right that "home" is where she will recover. I pray you are all sleeping right now. Love,barbara
Go Maddie go, go Maddie go, repeated until she does. Praying for relief for her, and you.
You all have been in my prayers!! Your little girl is simply amazing. I hope I can get over to see you before you're discharged! I'm just getting over a cold, so I'll definitely wait until it's gone before I head that way.
Maddie is such a trooper!! I can't imagine what it must be like to watch her deal with all of this and put on a brave face through it all.
Love to you. <3
You guys are such amazing parents. I cant even imagine having to go through what you and byan have been through. Poor Maddie I hope she is able to go soon. We are praying for you guys send love your way. I keep checking for more updates. I cant wait to see Were going home and Maddie went to the bathroom. Call if you need to talk. Love The Fuhrimans
Praying for poop! Poor Maddie girl, we sure hope today she can get her "duty" done and have a happier tummy. And hugs to you Kat, you are amazing.
Love you all.
Kelsey and family
Praying for relief VERY soon. My heart aches for little Maddie and all of you!
Katie, you are an amazing Mama. What an inspiration to so, so many!!
Thinking of you all daily and continuing to pray.
I can do everything through him who gives me strength.
--Philippians 4:13
Yeah for no wires! Boo for no two! I'm constantly checking on her and you're all in my prayers. Katie, thanks for the daily updates, I'm sure there are other things you would rather be doing but I really appreciate it and want you to know it!
Oh you guys sound EXACTLY where we were at post op day 7. Yuck. That was about the time I threw a fit and told them I was leaving the hospital and I would come back daily for checkups, but we needed to get out before Grant could turn the corner!! I sure hope that today has brought some relief and a few steps forward instead of backwards!! Hang in there!
Hugs!
Alli
Aww poor girl, no prune juice? I really hope she goes soon.
Post a Comment