Saturday, March 29, 2008

Day 16



Thought I'd blog a little different tonight...Maddie is 16 days old, so here's 16 facts we've learned about our baby girl:

1. She is a squeaker & grunter (probably louder than our boys!) Pretty cute noises though!

2. She has inspired and touched so many lives in her 16 days of life. A true blessing to many.

3. She's very popular with the nurses...our ICU nurses have come back to visit her and get their "Maddie fix" since we moved to the floor.

4. She has 2 dimples, one in each cheek, as well as a small one in her chin (just like her daddy!) Very cute.

5. She burps like a trucker for such a sweet little thing.

6. She's a very content baby...only cries when she's really mad.

7. She has very sensitive skin...poor girl, didn't get that pretty Allred color.

8. She's a hard little worker and fighter. Tries so hard to finish her bottles, but tires out easily. Totally understandable!

9. Her heart is still overworked, won't be "normal" for her until she's had all 3 surgeries. The next surgery should be between 4-6 months (this late summer/fall) and her last surgery will be between 2-6 years old, depending on how she's doing.

10. She had an awesome surgeon- Dr. McMullan. Here's a picture of them from this morning. He's a very cool guy...always gives us all the time in the world to ask our billions of questions, some repeats, and he is just so "down to earth". We learned that he originally wanted to be a priest, then chose med-school and when he observed a VSD heart surgery, he instantly knew that is what he needed to become, a heart surgeon. He reminds me of McDreamy!

11. Maddie's heart is the size of her fist- like a walnut. Dr. McMullan operated on this walnut, sewing in her shunt with a needle the size of an eyelash. Amazing.

12. Maddie's congenital heart defect: Pulmonary Atresia with an Intact Ventricular Septum, Hypoplastic Right Heart Syndrome, Ebstein's Anomoly, Atrial Septal Defect. Her heart defect is very complex and very rare. She was born with half a heart, basically.

13. She will need to live "in a bubble" for a while...can't risk getting sick and a setback before her next surgery. Maddie is going to keep us home. And yes, I'm looking forward to it!!!

14. Maddie will see a cardiologist for the rest of her life. She'll also take baby asprin for the rest of her life, as well as Captopril (ACE inhibitor for her heart). The oldest survivors that have what she has are in their 20's/30's. We have hope that by the time she's that age, there will be something doctors can do to make her heart last a lifetime.

15. Madison Grace is the best thing that has happened to me. Although this has been the toughest thing I've ever been through, her gentle spirit and heart has brought us all closer together and strengthened our faith, hope and love. My relationship with our Heavenly Father has grown immensely as well as my faith in others. Depending on God and handing it over is a lesson that I'm learning daily and I know that He has helped me handle this as well as strengthened my little girl to make it through it. I'm eternally grateful for my Maddie and for God choosing us to be her parents.

16. Maddie has a HUGE fan base, we've learned. We are so blessed to have so many who love and care for her. Thank you from the bottom of our hearts for all of your prayers...we know that this has helped sustain us during our difficult times. We believe in the power of prayer and Maddie proves this!

11 comments:

Becky Noftle said...

Amen 16 times!! We want to be counted among her fans. Thank you for sharing all this with us Katie, it has blessed our lives too!

Anonymous said...

Greetings from 4 of Maddie's fans!

I LOVED reading more about Maddie and learning more about her condition. We truly can't wait to meet Maddie in person once she is out of her bubble.

Prayers tonight for Maddie, her family, and her doctors/nurses.

Kelly and Family

Brenda said...

So are we all her groupies? I'm cool with that! It's crazy to put the size of her heart in perspective like you did. I'm amazed at what surgeons can do now, it's awesome. She looks wonderful!

Courtney said...

She is so stinkin cute! I cant even imagine all you have been through, you are an amazing mother Katie, Thank you for keeping us all updated through this whole experience. Cant wait to meet Miss Maddie!

Craver's said...

Katie those are the most beautiful words, i am so honored to have been a part Maddie and her family through this trying time, your stength has helped me to look at my life and be thankful to the lord for the things i have been forgetting to.
I cant wait till you and Bryan can be in your home with your boys and Maddie, it will be the best.
Love you all, GLC
(hope this isnt too mushy)

Anonymous said...

Bryan & Katie-
Once again I have tears...tears of joy and compassion. You have touch our lives by sharing Maddie's story with all of us and it is a constant reminder to not take for granted our health and each day we have together here on earth. It is also a constant reminder of what a great community we live in. In a time of need there are so many people who are very supportive. Thank you for sharing 16 facts about Maddie. The burping like a trucker reminds me of Emerson. Boy can she let out a good one. Have a Blessed Sunday! Love, Michelle Dan Ty and Colin
PS Maddie looks so precious!

Anonymous said...

As the time draws closer for Katie and Bryan, Maddie and the boys to be home, I can't help but comment on how grateful I am. All of the out pouring of geniune care, love and concern is at times overwhelming. These past months and weeks leading up to Maddie's arrival were some of the hardest moments of my life. With my faith in God, I was able to see this through. My daughter and her husband have demonstrated strength and courage beyond anything that I have seen. I too, look at my life in a new and extraordinary way. Thanks to all of you from the bottom of my heart. Susie Stewart (Maddie's Nany)

Anonymous said...

Katie, Bryan and Maddie:
It is amazing to look back over your blog the last few months and see what you all have experienced. God has been SO GOOD and it's such a blessing to be able to see Him doing a wonderful work in your lives! I'm so happy that Maddie is getting closer and closer to being able to go home!
Lots of love and prayers,
Jaime Mullen :)

SHEILA ZIEGLER said...

Katie and Bryan-GariLynn's words say it all for me as well! I, too, have looked at my own life and many blesings as well! You and Maddie are such an inspiration to us all! I am so blessed to have you and your family in my life! I can't wait to see you soon!!! Love, Sheila

Anonymous said...

Katie~
I really need to give birth to this baby...each day I read your blog I'm just a blubbering mess, these hormones are way out of control:) Thank you so much for sharing this journey with us all, your strength is an inspiration. Going through a "storm" isn't always easy but it's so wonderful when you reach the calm and can give God the glory for bringing you through it and give him the praise that he is so worthy of! Can't wait for Maddie to come out of her bubble so we can see and hold your special blessing.
Lots of Love,
Krista

Marnie Bergeson said...

I'm so happy for the success that she has had in her 16 days here. What a cutie pie. (And, by the way, so is Dr. McDreamy, - sorry, I'm just a Grey's Anatomy fan too). Heart surgery for an infant is a miracle of our day. I'm sure you're glad to be heading back home!